Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Monday, June 29th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Monday, June 29th

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:53 am

Good morning,

We did get to go visit Albert yesterday! And he looked good! I had a nice long visit with him and then they let Bill go in for a visit, too. Albert was really happy to see us - imagine that! He is holding his own, gets his dialysis port changed today, and goes to rehab tomorrow.

I also got my second Halloween table-topper quilted. I'm going to bind it this morning - then uglies, laundry, chiropractor, feed my rhodies, and get started on Christmas blocks. A full and varied day. One ugly is to mop my sticky kitchen floor! lol!

BECCA - you must have the purrfect micro-climate for azaleas! We have shelf liner that keeps things from sliding while "in flight". I've left a pie on the counter during a long day of travel, sitting on a square of that liner, and it didn't budge a bit. But just to be safe, I will probably stash plants in a large tray in the shower on travel days. I will probably take only 3-4 small ones.

JANA - how goes the fire? I hope it's out. Aren't firefighters - and police! - blessings to us all! Did you get your placemats finished yesterday? And how did you manage to delete your whole folder of patterns? Thank goodness you're married to a computer-savvy guy. I am, too,and he saves me all the time. They should wear capes with a big "C" on them!

LORI - what's the matter with calla lilies? They do have a funereal look to them, but other than that, I think they're pretty. My DD, Lara, even has one tatoo'd on her ankle. Not sure why she chose a lily but moms don't have to know everything, I guess. I have one lone hydrangea - a little one - and it's still thinking about it.

CAROL - your plants sound so foreign to me - hibiscus, lemon trees, etc. Though isn't Rose of Sharon a variety of hibiscus? They grow here. We have roses, forsythia, huckleberries, salal, Oregon Grape, and bulb flowers here that all grow well. If I were into gardening, I'm sure I would have more. Your mystery quilt sounds fun! I did a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt 3 years ago but in Christmas fabrics, and I loved it! I hope you share a photo of yours when it's done!

Supper is still in the think tank. I have some leftover roast still. I could dice it up for veggie beef soup, but we just worked our way through a big pot of that earlier this month. Maybe I should make some pasties . . . Still thinking . . . .

Becca

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Monday, June 29th

Post by Becca » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:28 am

Good morning everyone still cool here 70
Maryz We had beautiful azaleas in the Piedmont too They have always done good for us Here if I didn’t cut the off the whole bed would be a solid mass
I love them
So happy you got to see Albert & found him doing well That’s encouraging

Jana Sure hope the fires are out That is so ridiculous that they do firecrackers where There’s dry fields

Lori Life changes when another person is in the house

Carol Hope you can get those mites under control so you can have citrus

Rosebud I hope you aren’t having to work 12 hr days That’s a long day

Chickie Guess you are busy with doggies or Covid They keep you hopping

It’s spaghetti here as I’m feeding DGS & other man putting in our new system HEat & Cool. Becca

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:28 am

Good morning!

We have rain! A very steady rainfall all day yesterday, last night and still now. The first fire is well contained, but a second one broke out yesterday afternoon. In the middle of 45 mph winds! The fire is south of me, on the edge of Utah lake. The city had to evacuate 3100 homes, which they said was 1/3 of the entire city because of the fire. A few homes were damaged as of the last report I read. The wind was blowing the fire into the path of those homes, but after the weather front passed through, the wind changed direction and blew away from the homes. Prayers are heard and answered - all the time!

Mary - good to read you got to visit. You will have a good visit in November with Autumn.

Becca - we had thought of a heat pump here when this house was built, but didn't. Michael likes things like that. Me, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around it's snow, cold out there and you get heat to warm the house - glad you are getting a new one.

Dinner - I have some turkey burger that needs to be used - so will come up with something.

I have laundry to do. Spent time yesterday taking my dishwashers apart and cleaning them - then ran vinegar through them to dissolve the hard water build up. I try to do this about once a month. Made cookies too. Only three left, my gremlins were here!

Well, better get going,
Hugs,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:14 am

Mary, I didn't know Rose of Sharon was a variety of hibiscus, but it is. Funny I would have never thought that. It such a beautiful tropical flower. I bet you can't wait to visit Autumn in November.
I try and see my son every few months. I miss him.

Jana, cookies sound good. Maybe I'll bake some today. It's nice and cool today, so perfect for baking.

Becca, things have definitely changed. We're adjusting though. His little poodle Sam, is deaf and almost completely blind as well. They make a perfect pair.

Dinner is up in the air. I need to get some groceries before I decide. Usually the day I shop I have so many choices it's hard to pick what I want.

Have a lovely day.
Lori 8-)

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:31 pm

Good morning All!!! We are hot, gray and humid. And after breakfast, we are going to town to mow the rentals.

Well, best laid plans… I was going to grab a minute and post, but DH walked in and I had to make breakfast and hit the road. We had a surprise in town, one of the rentals had been mowed, apparently by a tenant, so we only had to do one duplex. That was good, because it was overly warm. On the way home, DH dropped me off at the lane to Choc’s, and I walked the quarter mile up to the house and walked her, then I walked home which is nearly a mile. By the time I returned, I was HOT and needed a break, so I made a cold salad for lunch.

And then, the Marines quilt caught my attention. I’m happy to say that I finished quilting it, and I’ll get the binding done today or tomorrow. The cows were up at the house area, so I went out and got Covid and brought him in for a late lunch. I’ll give him a late supper later.

Yesterday we went to Joplin with SIL. She wanted to get a trunk for DH to restore for her. We stopped and picked up carry out Chinese and had a picnic on the way home.

Calla lilies! They are one of my most favorite flowers—they remind me of our back yard in SF, and I can’t grow them here except for wimpy little potted plants. I want those glorious huge white ones!!! They are the epitome of elegance in flowers. I have lots of favorite flowers, but those always stand out. I need a quilt pattern for them!

Becca—I can’t believe your azaleas grow like weeds! They can grow on the north side of the buildings here, but they take a lot of patience. I don’t have any. Remember, my plants grow in spite of me, not because of me. I would let the whole bed be a solid mass if I were the gardener!

Oh, Jana—I don’t know why people think they need to set off fireworks in dry years! We have dry conditions here and wind—a bad combination. They terrorize the dogs in the area for weeks. There really isn’t much justification for them. I hope the fire gets under control! Oh, Ugh!!! Sorry to hear about the second fire! Our winds would carry fire across pastures here, too. I hope the city isn’t destroyed! Glad you got some rain!!! Good to have a DH to do a complete backup for your computer! I bet he gets some extra cookies!

We have a geothermal heat pump system. The coils are in the bottom of the pond where it is 56 degrees year around. Air conditioning is quite reasonable since the air comes in at 56 degrees rather than cooling outside air. Same in winter—56 degrees so it’s warmed instead of outside temperatures which may be as low as zero and sometimes much worse than that. We also got a tax rebate when we installed the system.

Mary—so good to hear you cheered up Albert yesterday! You are so quick with those toppers! I’m looking forward to starting one soon. I also want to try out my Cherry Pickin’ ruler. So many squirrels…

Lori—I’ve heard calla lilies are considered weeds in some areas. I can’t fathom it being so. DDIL has a beautiful hydrangea. It was blooming its heart out in lavenders and blues the other day when we were over there. We have a pretty double Rose of Sharon that’s blooming now. There are the single ones at the other end of the farm where the house used to be. Good to hear you are adjusting to your new living situation. MIL had a big German shepherd/husky mix for an in-house dog that we learned to adjust to.

Carol—Your mystery quilt sounds fun! I keep wanting to do one, but other things get in the way. Sorry about the plant infestations. They are a mess wherever they are and whatever plants they attack!

Dinner here is leftovers from the Chinese take out yesterday. So happy not to be cooking! I’m off to go cut binding. I’ll probably sew it tomorrow.

Bon appétit!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:12 pm

Turkey burger morphed into meatballs stuffed with mozzarella cheese, then simmered in Sunday gravy, to be served over angel hair pasta. They are simmering away. Fairly big, about the size of a tennis ball.

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:34 pm

Today I worked slowly on the mystery quilt. I spent more time on the internet than I should have for sure! After six weeks of waiting with no news I was told that my order for a webcam was cancelled. I found one somewhere else and it will be delivered on Friday. I really need a webcam for the Zoom meetings for the Guild. The difference in customer service is quite amazing between stores.

Tonight's dinner is "mac 'n cheese". I started thinking about spaghetti sauce, but it just wasn't going to happen, maybe Wednesday, tomorrow will be chicken.

Return to “Chit Chat”