Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, June 28

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, June 28

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:58 am

Good morning,

We had a cool, sometimes showery day yesterday. Warming up to about 70* and sunny this afternoon. Might be good gardening weather - if someone wanted to do something like that . . . :lol: But I have a kitchen full of sticky jam jars to wash and another octagonal Halloween table topper to back/quilt/bind. Also a sewing room to clean and blocks to get started on for Tina's Christmas swap. PLUS - if no one in Albert's family is going to Seattle to visit him today, I want to do that. It's about 50 miles one way but the old brother is worth the trip. He will probably move to rehab this week and I don't think they will allow visitors at all there. At least the hospital is allowing one visitor a day.

Yesterday Bill built a shelf in our RV under the big window and behind our chairs. Now I can take a few small plants with us when we travel. For some reason people keep giving me plants, knowing we go away for months at a time sometimes. Plants are a big headache for me when we travel and I have to impose on Across-The-Road-Lori to water them for me. I think I have 8 in all and one is a poinsettia that is still in full bloom!

CHICKIE - Covid knows for sure who is buttering his bread! lol! Your little grand-doggies are so cute! that's quite a trek for their 7 little legs! How is the Marine quilt coming along? And how did Doyle's dr appt go?

CAROL - that tabletopper is fun. The pattern assumes you know something about paper-piecing. They assumed wrong in my case. But in their "back to basics' section of the magazine they refreshed my memory. The first tabletopper took me 3 days! But I whipped one out yesterday in just 8 hours. Thanks for the link!

LORI - give the Christmas swap some thought. You could always put last years and this years together in one big quilt - or one for you and one for Dad. Or your parents. I have about 10 Christmas quilts - most from swaps, but some I did all on my own. An extra person always means extra cleaning. Bill tracks in more dirt, fir needles, maple 'helicopters', twigs, etc than the cat, dog, and I do put together! But I still keep him. :D

JANA - ouch! Poor Crenda! That was some cut! You're right - good for the kids to step up. I hope her finger isn't too sore. And nice save on that beef! So what are you working on while waiting for the MM fabric? And what is the fabric like? I know when I was trying to find MIckey fabric, it was always "out of stock".

BECCA - that's a lot of azaleas. Here, people cut them and rhodies WAY back and they grow in smaller and fuller. Would that work? From my first paragraph, you can discern that I can't bear to throw away living plants! lol!

Well, I cooked the tri tip roast last night and we have LOTS left over so maybe tonite will be hash. We're going to be eating on that roast for sometime to come. Maybe I'll make a beef pot pie and freeze it for camping next month . .

Have you 'hashed out' your supper plan yet?

Becca

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Sunday, June 28

Post by Becca » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:52 am

Hello everyone sunny here today & nice
Maryz Mark is going to saw them down I did that to 2 others that were crowding out others They grow here like weeds & most people here say they won’t grow for them
I too have a problem throwing out healthy plants I don’t see how you could manage them while traveling Seems they would turn over

I made my spaghetti sauce for tomorrow I’m feeding our DGS & his worker
I’m having a chef salad & CA has banned salad & Im cooking green beans for him
Becca

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:50 pm

Good afternoon!

I won't rant again, you can see it over in sew-ins. But, it is raining hard now, a gift to those fighting the fire! Come on more rain!

Dinner is finishing up what is in the refrigerator. I am making a batch of my killer chocolate chip cookies for Matt's kids. They are coming to visit this evening. Grandma always has a treat.

Mary -- how are you going to secure those plants? Museum putty under their bases? Hope you are the visitor for Albert today. He needs to see you and you him!

Becca - strange, what is a weed to some, is a beautiful flower to others. Here in Utah, they love calla lilies. I absolutely positively hate them! Even threatened my kids I will come back to haunt them, if those flowers appear at my funeral! LOL!

Hopefully will finish the last 4 placemat's bindings today. Then make my patriotic bag. I went to find a embroidery for the pocket and all my designs had disappeared from my computer! The entire folder of all my artwork! Oh, the panic! I have hundreds of designs. But my dear, wonderful, sweet and smart husband backs up my computer to his everyday. So he reloaded them back onto my computer. Whew! Now to find out how and why they disappeared. That is a Michael job.

Time to scoot. More thunder and lightning.

Hugs,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:02 pm

Jana, I bet they are thankful for the rain. Hope the fire goes out. I don't like Calla Lilies either. Oh happy dance you got your embroidery art back.

Becca, Spaghetti sounds good.

Mary, you say warming to 70, I say cooling. lol It's cloudy and only about 72 here today. I'll have to look at patterns for the Christmas swap. You know I can't resist. The quilt I finished quilting yesterday was a swap, and I have 2 more to layer. I may need a support group for swaps.

Well I worked in the yard after we walked the boys at the park. Almost got the back planted finished.
I do a little at a time. My Hydrangeas are very happy this year. Well I need to make some binding to put on a quilt, then I'll have one more finished. I have a few more to layer.

For dinner we might do leftovers.

Have a lovely evening.
Lori 8-)

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:54 pm

Tonight's dinner was Parmesan Chicken, salad, mashed potatoes and vegetables.

I filled both our green bins with leaves the past couple of days so I did not work outside today except to spray water to rid the hibiscus of white fly. I went in and read and the only other thing that is recommended is to get yellow sticky things to put out to kill them. I have been spraying water on them for three days. Yes, I do spray the underside of the leaves. There are fewer. Also had to pick off some deformed lemons. Seems that tree had some Citrus Mites. My Western Gardener book says there is nothing that can be done except squirt water, but near the coast (we are) the problem is common.

I have been working on a mystery quilt. I was given the final step yesterday, however I just got the 60* ruler on Friday so had to do the step that needed the ruler before I could begin. I used Christmas fabrics to make this quilt and it looks perfect to me. It looks like rows of trees! I had no idea what the quilt would look like when I started. Cool!

Return to “Chit Chat”