Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, March 26th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, March 26th

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:31 am

Good morning,

We got our big-clean done yesterday. And most of the laundry. Today I'll do the sheets. If this keeps up much longer, we'll be starting on windows - and no one here wants that! I did make a few more masks but until my elastic comes, I'll be making them with ties. I would get out a jigsaw puzzle except that I have a cat who love puzzles and that can add a real difficulty factor. Bill has a project he's working on in the trailer. He's installing an electric heater in an empty space so we don't have to carry a space heater with us. If our weather were better I'd be out doing some yard work but perhaps the rain makes it easier for people to stay home.

I'm feeling for my Alaskan brother, Gene (who just turned 85), at home with his wife who is deep into Alzheimers. We text every day, usually several times. She should be in a memory care facility but there just are none available in Alaska. She is hallucinating badly, and doing crazy things. And she's had two days of "digestive issues" that he's had to deal with. Some of his family have been exposed to Covid-19 so no one can visit. His sons bring groceries and drop them off in the garage. For entertainment he watches the dog go into a frenzy when snow slides off the roof, which is noisy. He's a very active, youthful 85, but this is overwhelming him. And no one can help him. He's coping as well as anyone could, better than I would probably. When I start feeling cabin fever, I think of him. So, if you happen to have a spare prayer, Gene & Marge could really use one.

BECCA - until my elastic order arrives, I'm making ties for my masks. I'm using muslin and folding it like bias tape and stitching it down. Ties should be about 19" long.

JANA - nice to be able to watch the pretty snow - but not have it pile up on the street! How goes the re-organization of the Batt Cave?

MARY ROSE - did you see my response yesterday? I just Googled Utube face mask and up popped several videos and Jenny's was the one on top. But I think QIAD has one now too, that you can just download.

LORI - how long have you been working on your log cabin? I must have been camping when you started it because I don't remember hearing about it. Or maybe it was it the tempranillo? :oops:

CHICKIE texted me. A 65 yr old man from Indiana was at her DD & SIL's house helping with some construction. He was dx'd shortly after returning home and is now sick and on a vent. Chickie is worrying and praying hard that her DD and family won't get sick. A prayer in their direction, too, wouldn't go amiss.

In supper news, we now have a lot of pork roast leftovers. Tonight we'll just have a reheat. Then I'll start getting inventive with BBQ pork sammies, enchiladas, pasoli, tetrazzini, etc. It's a big roast! lol!

What's cooking at your house?

FarmChick

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, March 26th

Post by FarmChick » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:48 am

Good morning! We were 70s yesterday and perfect! Today we are headed for 80s!!! It was only a few days ago I was wearing a coat and gloves to walk the dogs.

Ladies, it’s been hard to get here. I need your prayers for my daughter’s brother-in-law. He was here from Indiana less than two weeks ago and worked closely with DSIL on building cabinets and countertops for DD’s house. He also attended a big family gathering and stayed with family. I spent the afternoon with my DD after she had dinner with him the evening before. Long story short: He is now hospitalized in Indiana with Covid-19 after feeling terrible on the way home. He was doing well and was to be dismissed, but his O2 stats wouldn’t stay normal. He is now on a ventilator and fighting for his life. I think he is around 65 and in great health (doesn’t smoke or have COPD issues), so it shows this disease is no respecter of persons. Please keep him and all of my family and his in your prayers. Thank you!!!

PS-Mary, thank you for mentioning my DD’s DBIL! He is a good friend to me, and family to my DD. He was our pastor when I was in Missouri long before his little brother and DD got together. This disease has hit us CLOSE!

I don’t have any good news about calves. We still have 10, and they are so cute! The twins are always together—makes me think I need an eye exam for double vision!

I spent a couple of days making masks for DS and his girlfriend. Yesterday I had to make a vet run for the Hooligans’ Bravecto. I stopped at the grocery store there and was shocked at all the empty shelves. I was able to get fresh produce, but no staples.

Last night I made spicy pork over rice. DH asked me if I could make Chinese food since we can’t go out and eat any more. It was delicious, if I say so! Not sure I can replicate it, as I added “this and that” and a bit of “more” to the sauce/marinade. And, I hate to admit I can make things when it’s my special get-to-to-out-and-eat excuse! But, these are trying times, so I picked up a package of boneless pork ribs at the store yesterday. They had plenty of meats for choice as they butcher there in the store.

So… today I will be working on Mary Q’s UGRR swap blocks and praying for Dan. Again thank you for your prayers!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:32 am

Good morning!

Chickie - so many prayers for you and your family. It is a hard thing to face, but you do it very well!

Mary - windows are on my to do list. Mostly the insides that I can reach. Having that heater installed will make for easier warm mornings!

The Batt Cave is a disaster at the moment. Everything is out of place, but have new places just waiting. My wrought iron bookcase that previously held my cookbooks, has a new life in holding my quilt project boxes. I have several, should say, many started quilt projects in plastic boxes. Those boxes are wonderful - about 13x13 with attached lids, so they snap closed. Great size for finished blocks and they hold the fabric as well. I got some of the boxes at Costco and some at JoAnn's. Only buy the JoAnn's ones, if they were on sale for 50% off. I have a few empty ones for future projects. Before using this bookcase, those boxes were stacked under a table, getting in the way. The big sewing island is under measurement construction. Michael is crawling all around my cabinets measuring to see how to reuse parts we want. My original sewing cabinet has a electric lift for the sewing machine. So wonderful, but my new machine is too big to fit in the hole, to be raised up or down. So we are taking that out to fit in the new island configuration. I may be sewing on my desk for awhile. We still need one last cabinet from IKEA, so that will have to wait until all this stay home stuff is in effect. But all the construction drawings with measurements will be done and ready to go. We will need to order the countertop or make it ourselves. It will be Formica, laminate, about 72x45 in size.

Dinner - unknown for the moment.

Sarah needs me to draft out a t-shirt pattern to fit Ethan. I have all my old Stretch and Sew patterns to do that, so need to find space in the mess down there.

Hugs,
Jana

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:31 am

Thank you Mary. I saw it this morning. I fell asleep before I got back to check last night. I am going to try it today.

Will be back later for prayer circle.

Supper will be left overs.

Mary/Rosebud

Becca

Post by Becca » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:08 am

Second post First one didn’t post
Hello everyone
Beautiful here in 70s Sun makes for a better day
Maryz Prayersfor Gene & Marge Caregiving isn’t easy Good you can text to encourage him
I have used both ties & elastic Did a number on my back sewing really hurts it I tried many chairs

Chickie Sure am sorry about DD &herDH & his DB Will be praying for him. & all of you
Times we have never lived in
Glad the calves are thriving

Jana Guess we can all have clean houses
Lol

Mary rose Hope You are faring ok Staying Home or do you have to work

I have been outside doing lots of things from leaves removed to dragging a high tree limb in woods that lodged in a Mtns Laurel Mot an easy task but done
Got bathrooms cleaned and package in mail for Courtney for mask

We had burgers Chips for C.A. & salad for me Becca

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:48 pm

Becca, I return to work April 1st. For now I am home for a 2 week quarantine.

Mary/Rose

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:19 pm

Maryz, I was cleaning yesterday as well. So today I did a quick vacuum and called it good.
I made the log cabin last year sometime, or maybe it was the year before. I lose track. It was about 1/4 quilted and I didn't like it so I sat and ripped it out. Then started quilting it again the other day. I should have it finished up by tonight. Need to find binding and make a label. It's going to a friend of mine when we can go out again. Sorry about your brother. My mom doesn't understand why I can't come visit her because of her dementia.

Chickie, sorry to hear about you daughter's brother-in-law. Hope he can beat the virus, and the don't get it.
I know how you feel about being able to cook different things. DH loves my homemade pizza. He says why would we ever order pizza out again, because yours is so good. My reply, because I don't always want to have to make it. He doesn't cook at all.

Jana, so nice that you have someone that can make it for you. My DH isn't handy that way. I'd be making it myself.

Becca, your weather sounds perfect. Ours should be in the 70's by next week. I'm looking forward to it.

Well I got my walk in this morning, then I did a chat with my quilt group of 11 others on Zoom. It was nice to see everyone and what they are working on. DS sent me a text saying they sent him home with a computer to work from home. His dogs are going to be so happy.

For dinner, hmmmmm. I don't know. I'm having my afternoon coffee late, because I took a little nappy with the kitties. Maybe Orange chicken with rice. That's an easy one.

Have a lovely evening.
Lori 8-)

Return to “Chit Chat”