Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday March 26 2020

Daily discussions.
Becca

Thursday March 26 2020

Post by Becca » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:25 am

Good morning everyone
Time to rise & shine The sun is rising here

Yesterday my DGD called Her DH is a Dr that is testing masks for their effectiveness I’m sending 2 samples for him to test

Hope you all have a wonderful day and stay safe Remember the Prayer Circle today
It’s uglies here Pur DS dropped off 4 gals of distilled water for DHs oxygen machine That was great
Becca

grammiequilts

Re: Thursday March 26 2020

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:32 am

Been up Good morning Looking at the news and the word is not good...we really need to pray. things here are quiet...we are home and staying there, I made more masks but the drop off place is 30 minutes from the house. I am not sure i should go. I have put out a message if anyone is dropping off masks I will put them on my porch. i am making more and they are still being requested.. Elastic has not come yet so still doing the ties...we are good with food and my kids have forbidden me to go to the grocery store. so I will have to call them when I need stuff...Our cases are doubling everyday....this is serious stuff...hope you are all doing well...my love and prayers to you all XXXXXXXXOOOOOO

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:34 am

Good morning Becca and All below.

Yesterday afternoon Larimer County declared a stay-at-home order to start at 5 p.m. today. The governor, not to be outdone declared the whole state for 5 a.m. this morning. I was able to change my rental car to today at noon. As the saying goes, I'm gettin' the hell out of Dodge!

I'm taking some of my stash with me to make masks when I get to Texas.

I pray everyone stays healthy and well and have a good day.
Lyn

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:56 am

Good morning!

More snow. But it is so weird - as much that fell yesterday, disappeared even as snow fell. That was all gone by the afternoon, and woke up to more on the ground today.

Being here at home, I have had time to reflect on life lessons learned from my mom and grandmother as they lived through similar trials we are facing today. How to made do, and still help others. Henry J Kaiser, a famous industrialist, had a cement company in California. His cement trucks were quite visable, they were painted bubble gum pink! On the side of each of the rotating barrels carrying the cement was his motto - "Find a need and Fill it! That is what we have done - stepped up, saw the need for masks and used our stashes to fill that need! Even on where to find elastic or go back to adding ties. We used our skills, many that were taught by our moms to do this. Now added to our stories for our children and grandchildren are these life lessons, so in their time of finding a need to fill, they can ! As my Grandmother would say, "this too shall pass". We will be better for this trial.

The Batt Cave is quite a disaster at the moment. I have it torn apart as I am reorganizing it. Michael is taking detailed measurements of my current sewing cabinet, as he will cannibalize pieces parts as he assembles my sewing island together. My new machine is too big for the lift opening on the current cabinet, so we will save that electric lift for the new cabinet. So as soon as it is safe to go out, we will get the last IKEA unit we need and some lumber to put it together. I may need to move my machine over to my desk to sew or just play on my LA, finishing quilts I already have made. We wil have to order a custom countertop for the island or make it ourselves. It will be just Formica, now called laminate, nothing fancy, except the size.

Well, my heater turned on and is warming up the house, which means, I won't need to stay under the fozy warm quilt any longer,

Hugs,
Jana

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:21 am

Good morning,

Day 2 of Captivity: We big-cleaned the entire house yesterday and did laundry. Today - bed sheets. If things get much worse we may start washing windows. Still making masks, though my elastic hasn't come. I've started making ties. I make the ties out of muslin. I know these masks aren't as efficient as we'd like, but they are better than nothing and right now, nothing is all some have. And it makes me feel like I'm doing something.

LYN - wishing you safe travels! Will you go east, then south, or south, then east? We had friends traveling by car from AZ to WA and they said it was terrible just trying to find someplace to stop to pee. Make sure you pack food and water! And give your angel plenty of time to get in the car with you.

CHRISS - glad Jerry is coping. And homemade bread sounds many steps up from store-bought! I wish you were more dispensible and could stay home with him. Thanks for the prayer circle. I think we really need it.

JUDI - I hope you find a way to get your masks where they need to go. I'm lucky, my delivery point is only 2-1/2 miles away.

JANA - what a fun project you have underway! And you are right - our civilization needs a crisis now and then to remind us to be - well - civil! I love that motto - find a need and fill it.

Stay healthy!
mary z

velvet

Post by velvet » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:25 am

Good morning from Myrtle beach SC. If you can please post where you live. Its hard to figure out who lives where, especially when we are all over the states.

Its quiet here without the qov presentations. Everyone is just working on their own. If you have to go to Joan's -you talk in the driveway and keep 6 feet away. Very unusual feeling. YUK.

Yes, this too shall pass. I wonder if things will ever go back to the same?
I don't know of anyone who has the virus here. I guess "the old folks" are listening to the warnings.
Stay home and stay safe.

I'll check back later to catch up.
Diane

I'll be here for prayers for all.

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:38 am

MaryZ, I'm heading SE, on the quickest route possible. I will give the Angel time to get in, after I spray the car down with Lysol.
Lyn

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:19 am

Good Morning Girls

YEAH THE SUN IS SHINING. My goodness it makes such a difference! Makes me such a happy girl!

Becca.... How cool that they are testing your masks! We all know that they are not quite as safe as the filter masks, but wouldn't it be great if they would find that they actually DO help! At this point... anything is better than nothing!!!

Judi... How long are you making your pieces for ties? My elastic won't get here until Saturday and I thought I might try some with strips instead. I have pieces all sewn with the ends open to add the elastic when it gets here. In MN we are house bound for two weeks.. thankfully I'm good on food and TP and coffee.

Lyn... How long will it take you to get to TX? Do you have snacks for the road? Be careful where you stop along the way!

Jana... Thank you for the story … I'm old enough to remember stories from my Mom about "making do" during WWII. How quilts were made from scraps. I have a quilt that my grandmother started before WII.. my Mom told me it was the only quilt she actually bought specific fabric for. Have you seen Frozen II.... the theme seems to be "do the next right thing" … It's my new motto! DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING... and it's a Gibbs rule.... "don't waste good"

Maryz… LOL Captivity! That's a great way to put it. How is Bill handling all this? No quilt tops for him to work on?

Diane.... It sure is scare to try to maintain 6 feet. The mail carrier brought packages to the door step and I went to greet her, she reminded me to stay 6 feet back... so I came back in the house. How I wish I could leave her a treat... she's always so kind!

Time for more coffee.. then head down to sew. See you all this afternoon in Prayer Circle

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:48 am

Good morning Everyone,
I see you are all busy and I can't stay but a minute I'm waiting on angry momma to finish cleaning the microwave then I will wipe it out.

I guess we are all doing what we do best keeping in doors doing chores and then sewing i have 20 mask made 4 more cut out then I'm out of elastic.

Have a great day.
Prayers go out to all.
Lois

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:05 pm

maryq wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:19 am
Good Morning Girls

YEAH THE SUN IS SHINING. My goodness it makes such a difference! Makes me such a happy girl!

Becca.... How cool that they are testing your masks! We all know that they are not quite as safe as the filter masks, but wouldn't it be great if they would find that they actually DO help! At this point... anything is better than nothing!!!

Judi... How long are you making your pieces for ties? My elastic won't get here until Saturday and I thought I might try some with strips instead. I have pieces all sewn with the ends open to add the elastic when it gets here. In MN we are house bound for two weeks.. thankfully I'm good on food and TP and coffee.

Lyn... How long will it take you to get to TX? Do you have snacks for the road? Be careful where you stop along the way!

Jana... Thank you for the story … I'm old enough to remember stories from my Mom about "making do" during WWII. How quilts were made from scraps. I have a quilt that my grandmother started before WII.. my Mom told me it was the only quilt she actually bought specific fabric for. Have you seen Frozen II.... the theme seems to be "do the next right thing" … It's my new motto! DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING... and it's a Gibbs rule.... "don't waste good"

Maryz… LOL Captivity! That's a great way to put it. How is Bill handling all this? No quilt tops for him to work on?

Diane.... It sure is scare to try to maintain 6 feet. The mail carrier brought packages to the door step and I went to greet her, she reminded me to stay 6 feet back... so I came back in the house. How I wish I could leave her a treat... she's always so kind!

Time for more coffee.. then head down to sew. See you all this afternoon in Prayer Circle
Mary the ties are 18-20 inches long. they can be cut if too long

Return to “Sew ins”