Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Saturday, February 15

Daily discussions.
suzette58

Saturday, February 15

Post by suzette58 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:38 am

Good morning everyone.
Boy did I have a rude awakening when I took the furbabies outside. It’s cold! It is in the teens. I think it is supposed to start going up tomorrow or Monday. Today is more quilting on my flower quilt. I found some binding in my binding tub that will look nice for it. I make extra binding so I have some for another project. I have to admit I hate ironing the binding when I make it. Well, my coffee mug is empty. I am off to get a little more. Have a wonderful day.
Suzette

fabricgirl

Re: Saturday, February 15

Post by fabricgirl » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:04 am

Good morning Suzette and all who follow,
Yesterday was nice but we didn't go out he wanted white castel hamburgers and we didn't so he went out got them and came back we all had lunch together and he showed us the next group of house that him and melissa will go see today nice to see all the excitement in his eyes and voice when he talks about each house.
Today I will start quilting the donation quilt.
Suzette it's cold here also but it's still winter.

Well that's all the news for today.
Prayers go out to all
Lois

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:01 am

Morning
I have been sick all week. Yesterday I went to doctor, upper respiratory infection again. On antibiotics, and feeling better.
My son was on home time, it was nice to spend time with him. He pulled out this morning.
Nothing else new here.

Flo

Becca

Post by Becca » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:21 am

Good morning everyone cold here too but sunny
LoisHope your finds the perfect Home

Suz Binding is something I don’t enjoy either

Flo Sorry you are sickHope your meds work Glad you got to visit with DS

Valerie So glad you found a new caregiver

It’s laundry here Got beds stripped Have a great day everyone
Prayers for Cindyg & Don ,Izzy & all in need. Becca

Quiltmom

Post by Quiltmom » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:03 am

Good morning all! Very cold here this morning only 14 degrees out but supposed to get warmer. Not much going on today. Went and got my newspapers now going to fix some breakfast for me. Fed Smoke and Sweetie before I went to get newspapers because they get impatient once I get up.

Today going to work on DGS1's project and watch NASCAR Infinity Race that is on today. it means Spring is just around the corner. Also need to fold the laundry I did last night, and put away dishes in the dishwasher. Nothing strenuous.

Flo - Hope you get better real soon. Those infections really make you feel bad.

Suzette - Smoke doesn't like going out in the cold either. I am so glad he has a fenced in backyard so all I have to do is let him out and back in. In this weather he doesn't stay out long at all. Sweetie my cat doesn't go out at all just uses the litter box. With just her one eye I would never let her out here in the country.

Well, time to go get my coffee going and get some breakfast. Hope everyone has a good day.

Sherry

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:44 am

Good morning!

It is cold here too. Waiting for the heater to come in and take the chill off the house. Ethan spent the night and is still asleep. When he wakes up, we will have breakfast. He wanted chocolate croissants and scrambled eggs. Oh joy, the heat just came on.

Should be a quiet day. Not much to do. We need to finish the Church bulletin for tomorrow and take it over. Also need a run to the store, Trader Joes, to finish up the last of the shopping trip. Then trim the batting and load a quilt on Robin. I think that is my least favorite part of quilting, cutting the batting! Loading the quilt is a piece of cake with the Red Snappers.

Aaron's court case is continuing. He testified and they asked about any video he had - yes - the defense tried to keep it out, but lost that part, so to enable the defense time, the trial wil continue on the 14th of March. The defense is claiming Aaron caused the accident and that the truck wasn't at fault. Video shows differently, so we will wait and see. Again.

Hugs and prayers,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:34 am

Good Morning Girls

It's Saturday! You know what that means... UGH CHORE DAY! I did a few things yesterday, but got distracted in the sewing room and didn't get as much cleaned up as I should have.. Oh Well... today is another day!

Suzette... WOW you are colder than here in MN! Supposed to hit 30 something today! After the 15 below the other day... even 30 sounds like a heat wave! Binding is not my most favorite thing to make either, good to have a stash of it ready to go!

Lois.... How fun to share in the excitement of house hunting with your son and DIL! Are they looking in your area or further away? My Kevin and DIL Sara are getting their house to put on the market soon, looking for something a little bigger... they only have 2 bedrooms now and the kids share a room...

Flo... Sorry to hear you have been sick! Glad your son was able to be home for a little bit... Any news on when DGD can go back to school. Does your local school have good programs for her special needs? Is she getting acclimated to being at your house?

Sherry... Good to know your projects for the day aren't strenuous... we sure don't want to hear you've hurt yourself doing house chores! :lol: My Mom's first sign of spring was when the baseball spring training camps opened up... she sure loved baseball!

Jana.. Oh Good Grief!!!! That guy is telling court Aaron caused the accident???? Is he crazy! So glad Aaron has the video to prove what happened. I'm surprised the guy is fighting it so much.. he has to KNOW what really happened...

Maryz… Wakey Wakey! I can't believe I am here before you! You must have stayed up way past your normal bedtime with company last night!

Cindy.... Just in case you stop by over the weekend... A Cameo is a cutting machine like a Cricut. You download designs and put in paper or sheets of vinyl or fabric and it cuts to the shape. My kids got it for me for Christmas. Mostly I'll be using to cut fabric for applique pieces. I'm still learning it, but it's a lot of fun... and will be easy to get carried away with. I think about you and Don all the time, sending lots of prayers!

Chriss…. If you want to swing up to MN and pick me up for the Paducah show... please do... I can be packed and ready to go pretty quick! But I better get my own room.... I snore! :lol: Will you be able to test drive the Jazz?

Have a few errands to run today... going to deliver about 15 baby blankets, some burp clothes, baby hats and pillowcases to a gal in town for her foster baby project.. then run to Dollar Store to see if I can find more water bottles, if they don't have any I'll check the Walmart next door and see what they have... Later on I'll post a picture of some of the bottles. Finished baby quilt yesterday, binding and all. Made star shape stencils on my cutter and traced on the quilt... then just quilted stars! Turned out pretty cute if I say so myself!

Time for more coffee and a quick shower..

wishing you all the most Super Saturday

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:36 am

Good morning,

I hope you all had a nice Valentine's Day. Today there is a quilt show in Silverdale, about 30 miles north of us. And we're going! Not sure how big it will be, but it will be fun to get out and do something. With all the rain and flooding in the PNW it's been a while since we did a real 'activity'!

SUZETTE - I'm not a big fan of making bindings either. I iron each strip before I sew them together. So much easier than ironing 300 inches of binding. Then I just have to trim and iron the joinings. But they are still a headache. I don't make extras on purpose, but I do save leftovers and put them all together when I make a scrappy quilt. I do have a small collection of bindings though. I usually make the binding when I finish the top and hang it on a hook in the door-less closet in the sewing room. But then if it takes my quilter a long time to get my quilt finished, I forget about the binding and make a new one! So I have 3 extras hanging and waiting for the next quilt they will suit.

LOIS - nice that your son & DIL are sharing their excitement with you! We just happened to be in Texas when Autumn & Aaron went to look at "this lake house that we know we'll never get but we want to see it anyway". They invited us along. And they ended up buying it! Six years ago.

FLO - sorry to hear you have another URI. Hope you will be on the mend soon. Is life settling down for you? Is your DGD in school yet? How long will your son be on the road before he's home again.

BECCA - Glad you've found a good PC nurse. That should make things easier for you and CA.

SHERRY - The first thing every morning - and I mean the FIRST - is to feed the barking, meowing crew swirling around my feet. If I'm quick about it, I can press the BREW button on the coffee maker as I pass it on my way to their dishes. But there would be an ugly revolt if I delayed their breakfast for even a few seconds. lol! Our pets really have us wrapped around their paws and claws, don't they!

JANA - my goodness! My take away from your post was you can make chocolate croissants! Super yum! I can't believe the defense thought they could suppress the video of that accident and that they are getting another whole month to prepare some kind of defense for it. Sometimes I hate the way the legal system bends over backward to protect the perpetrator's rights while victims are left on their own. Enjoy the family birthday party this weekend!

CHRISS - yes, I'm going to make that ding-dang Lori quilt. And in fact, I'll probably be making about SIX of them! I've been stuffing extra blocks and geese and HST's into that tote for 15 years! Here there is a huge home-schooling community. The parents share teaching some subjects like advanced math, sciences, music, etc. Whatever they are good at themselves. They go on group field trips, and even have a prom! They join sports at the local high school, I think. It's really great. Sounds like Mar is getting a well-rounded education. Glad you got your favorite meal for Valentine's! We had steak, too, but it was swiss steak and mashed potatoes with our broccoli.

CINDY - happy weekend! I vote for the RV show tomorrow. I love RV's - not so big on choir music. If Don has access to the MDA skill and care at the satellite hospitals, so much the better. Our friend, Warren, insisted on taking Lois to Seattle for her ca treatment, but the long commute was a stressful one and that alone took another toll on them. We sure are praying hard!

LORI - we dont' usually celebrate V-Day/anniversary with gifts or dinner out but we do something together we both enjoy - usually camp or travel. Or a nice dinner at home. And I always make his favorite cookies. Last night was having good friends over. Nice!

SHERRY - glad your son is choosing to stay put and that he got a raise and a bonus to do so! Congrats to him! Where was the other job located? What does he do?

MARY Q - you are really having fun with your new toy! And learning a lot of new things with it! Your family will love their personalized water bottles! Enjoy whatever you decide to do today! Hope you warm up soon!

I'm still mired in my explosion of orphan blocks, etc. It's a real "orphanage" in my sewing room! :lol: So I'll play with those after I shower and empty the dishwasher. Then later this morning, it's off to the quilt show! But first, I'm going to put some veggie beef soup in the crockpot - leftovers from last night with a few add-ins. It will smell so good when we get home.

Today is my DFIL's 100th birthday. Sure miss him. He passed away 1 week after his 70th. So I"m going to offer up this day for him and have fun. Dad loved fun!

Piece!
mary z

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:56 am

Suz - you have extra pre-made binding but how long do you make it? I make various sizes of quilts so I wouldn't know how long to make extra bindings.

Jana - those Red Snappers are the berries, aren't they? Not only is it easy to load a quilt but much faster, too.

Sherry - you like to read the paper and I use to until they raised the prices that I considered too high. What will you do when they quit printing the paper? Reading it on the computer just isn't the same as flipping pages. I feel the same about books. I have an electronic one but I just don't enjoy it. The real book has a smell and pages I can turn. My dogs don't like being out in the cold either and, if it's wet, they won't get off the patio because they don't like their feet to get wet. LOL

Becca - I like doing binding. I cut it on the bias, fold & iron it in half, sew it onto the front, press it out flat then fold it to the back, use Roxanne's washable glue to stick it down and iron it dry. That keeps me from have to bother with clips or pins. I love to sit with my quilt in front of the TV and sew down the binding by hand. It lays so flat and nice. I know it's faster to sew the whole thing on the domestic machine but I'm not fond of the end result. That's just me.

Flo - sorry about your respiratory infection. I've had those before. They make you tired from just breathing. I hope you are better soon.

Lois - I've heard of White Castle burgers but have never eaten one. I love looking at houses. Did the kids have pictures of the interiors, too? What fun.

My DH took me to eat at my favorite restaurant, Pappadeaux, last night. Delicious seafood. He is working today and I'm doing laundry. Need to go put some clothes on and then get in my sewing hole. Thanks for the prayers for Don.

I hope we can all fondle fabric today.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:13 am

Maryq - brrrrr you going out in that cold weather? You know, you could sell your house to the kids and you could get yourself a condo. A whole lot less maintenance to worry with.

Maryz - have fun at the quilt show. I'm afraid the RV Show is now out of the question. Don has to be at work at midnight Sunday night so he'll be getting in bed about 1:00 in the afternoon. Can't sleep and be at the RV Show at the same time. Looks like I'll be going to the concert by myself but that's OK. I know some of my praise team and choir friends will be there so I'll have fun.

Return to “Sew ins”