Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Feb 12

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Feb 12

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:00 am

Good morning,

Today is Lincoln's birthday! My favorite president, though I understand he was a controversial one in his day. In fifth grade we had to draw president names to do a big report. I crossed my fingers so I'd get Lincoln but drew Zachary Taylor instead. I thought, "Zachary WHO??" And that is the only detail I remember of that report! lol! Anyway, Happy Birthday, Mr. Lincoln!

yesterday I finished cutting the last of Main Street - grass, picket fences, sidewalks - and fused a couple of trees. I put it all into a small tote and it's ready to start sewing. I was trying to decide if I want to start sewing now or save it for trailer sewing . . . Decisions. Then someone in Sew-in yesterday put out the suggestion of taking all the orphan blocks we have, FG, HST's, Etc, and putting them all together in one quilt. Since I have a small tote of those, too, I thought - excellent idea! So I'll be working on that today. I think I have enough leftover blocks, etc., for two quilts!

We woke up to rain. Not good since this is the day we are going to try to get our trailer out of it's shelter. Cross fingers for this afternoon.

CHICKIE - so, did we get a baby yesterday? And if so, did everything go OK? I thought your DD lived in Joplin, MO. You are often going to Joplin and see her while you are there. Your bird seed shopping bags sound ingenious.

TINA - your snow is beautiful! EVen as you texted me pictures of it last night, the news was on and talking about it! Hope there's some left for the kids to play in today. The best fun EVER when I was a kid!

BECCA - Wishing you a good day at your house! And yes, I do love a challenge - even from myself. :D And yes, again! I'm keeping my Main Street.

JANA - I need both cats and dogs in my life. Most of my cats just happen to have medium or long hair. ACtually, I find it's easier to clean up than short haired sheddings. I just wet my hand or use a wet rag and wipe down the furniture or fabric or ironing board. Scottie, now, is a different kettle of hair. Some of his coat is 7" long and what a mess he can be because he hates to be brushed. So we don't do it as often as we should. But he's a beautiful dog! I make stew from time to time. But I use hamburger rather than stew meat. Neither of us are fond of stew mea.. And I add a small can of tomato juice if I have it. And for liquid a bottle of beer, a trick an old lady taught me many years ago. (she was probably younger then than I am now! lol!)

LORI - I sometimes wonder about the decisions made by the decision-makers that are supposed to protect the environment. Bill always shakes his head over the DEF he has to add to the truck, an EPA requirement on newer diesel engines - it comes in a 2-gallon plastic container with a plastic corregated nozzle attachment. The thing isn't recyclable because it's toxic. So it goes into the landfill. Though up in beautiful Alberta, people are tossing them to the sides of the road as a protest, so that isn't too pretty to be driving through picturesque Canadian Rockies and see all these plastic containers littering the highway. And what about animals that may get into them . . .

I'm deliberating on supper tonite - something with kielbasa or baked chicken breasts . . . Will keep deliberating until we finally order a pizza, probably! lol!

Have you got a plan?

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Feb 12

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:15 am

Good morning!!
We are totally white, no matter where you look, even the sky! Kinda blinding! We stayed at 30° all night, by 10 it's supposed to be 43° We ended up with at least 6" of snow, we have drifts over 2' deep! There should still be snow today for the kids to play in for sure. All of my trees, bushes and yes flowers are frozen, they look like something out of the Snow Queen movie I saw as a kid. Everything is running on a 2 hour delay and the roads were clear after our road, we seemed to have really gotten the most snow in the county. The official snow measurement was 4.4" but we were lucky and got more than wherever they measure. 😂🤣
Mary, I've been thinking about kielbasa and chicken too, funny. I might go with the kielbasa and make soup since it's so white outside, I bet Frankie would love soup after working out in this all day. I tried to get him to stay home but he wouldn't. He did call and say he got to work safely and gave me the road update. He left work at noon yesterday because he works outside for the most part and he said it was just too cold to really do anything, I told him, yes come home! Brrrrrrrr!
Tina

FavoriteGrandma

Post by FavoriteGrandma » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:20 am

Good morning ladies,
Just a quick note, we are pulling out already made food/casseroles out of the freezer, JR's dad is in the hospital, mostly for tests now, so we are trying to keep someone at the hospital all the time, as we don't get nearly as much information as we think we should! Not to worry though, the shelf that holds all that stuff in there is still pretty full, and the kids can have choices to warm up. Hum, looks like we have had pizza a lot around here.....good grief!
Gotta run, hope to get back home to stay soon.....Becky

Becca

Post by Becca » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:48 am

Hello everyone our sun lasted 2 minutes probably Cloudy & rain coming for today & tomorrow
Marty come early to bring goodies & catch up with family When here he has to go to DSs & DDs so it makes it rough for him

I went to get groceries because rain is on the way & Pallative Care comes after lunch I get home C.A. comes out to help He had a better day yesterday
He gets a couple bags I already am loaded down I see him falling I turn to try to block his fall He lands on the porch What a life on the Funny Farm At least no bones were broken
His valence is really bad

Maryz So glad you are keeping your quilt I think I would want to see it It’s a happy quilt Do hope you get your camper out

Tina Enjoy your snow but please keep it It is pretty & so
Much fun for kids

Chickie Do hope the baby is here & all is well with Mom & baby Nothing any sweeter

Lori I wish you had some of this rain There is flooding lists of places

Becky Hope your DGSiL gets Home soon & life gets back to normal whatever that may be lol

Jana Hope all’s well on the Homefront
Those DDs are sure a blessing CAs mother always cooked lots of beef so he loves it Me not so much

I must get going to put up groceries & get lunch & house in order before the PC gets here Have a wonderful day
We have beef stew leftovers. Becca

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:10 am

Good morning!

Finally found a curio, to hold quilts that we both like. Will order it shortly, it is from Wayfair. As to making beef stew, most recipes call for wine or beer and I don't cook ever with either. So it is hard to find a recipe without those ingredients.

Groceries are still staring at me from the island. My "sherpa", aka Michael hadn't hauled them downstairs yet.

Not much going on here - snow is falling even though the "they" said we wouldn't have any today. Not much, but sticking.

Well, sherpa did his job, and gave me the look - better get going.

Dinner - that corned beef is finally making it.

Enjoy,
Jana

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:15 am

Good morning!

We FINALLY did get a baby… not yesterday, but this morning somewhere around 5 a.m.! I had a text at 5:23 and couldn’t get back to sleep. I’m excited and had already started on a girlie quilt yesterday. We have a cute little girl with a head of black hair. She weighed in at 6 pounds, 2 ounces and 19 inches long. She’s a little bundle of cuteness, and everyone is doing super.

We woke up to snow this morning—the big fluffy flakes that are so neat to watch. They didn’t last more than a few minutes before turning into drizzle. That seems to be the order of the day and probably tonight.

Mary—I love the idea of the orphan blocks in a quilt—like the old samplers that have many sizes of blocks and patterns or even a Gypsy Wife style with extra setting strips and fun colors and prints.

Lori—I would be so happy to ban all one-use plastics. We grew up with paper straws and paper cups and paper wrappers, and life was good. I take my bags everywhere with me. I hate seeing all the rotten bags hanging on the fences where they blow and snag when they are tossed out on the roadsides.

Tina—those drifts really pile up! It doesn’t take much snow blowing across the fields to drift the roads here.

Becky—are you getting the storm? Hope all is good with your FIL! I think pizza is the fuel of choice for most kids! Don’t worry!

Becca—so sorry for more rain! So glad no bones were broken in CA’s fall! It really is a funny farm as we get older!

Sorry this is short… I need to get busy on that girlie quilt!!!

Dinner tonight… I have leftovers, but I might make a homemade pizza. I’ll see what hits me later.

Bon appétit

Return to “Chit Chat”