Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

NOVEMBER Lotto - Disappearing Hourglass - Crazy Eight

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
TeresaK

NOVEMBER Lotto - Disappearing Hourglass - Crazy Eight

Post by TeresaK » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:59 pm

MERRY ALMOST CHRISTMAS!!!! We had a wonderful turnout of Christmas Blocks. THANK YOU all for making this wonderful block. I know it was a bit of a tackling but they all came out BEAUTIFUL!!!!
They will make a beautiful quilt! We had 19 blocks so I decided to pick 2 Winners of 9/10 blocks each.
I went to decorate the Church this morning and brought the basket of tickets for the winners to be picked by others. THE LUCKY WINNERS are ...
WeSignificant - Valerie ... will be sent to her SS :) :) :)
TeresaK - Teresa ... I am sew EXCITED to play with this block. Who knows who might receive it when I am finished. Might be next years SS :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Hope to see Pictures of Playtime. MERRY STITCHING!!!!
*********************************************************************************************************************
WELCOME ALL!!! I predict a MERRY November!!!! Time to be THANKFUL and ENJOY the HOLIDAY Season with your Friends and Family. EVERYONE is WELCOME!!! So come join the FUN!!!

THIS is the LAST MONTH of the YEAR to able to SURPRISE your Elf with some WINNING BLOCKs!!! Please PM me for it to be a SECRET!! If you WIN your blocks will be sent to your ELF.

* This is NOT a SWAP. It is a place to practice and enjoy making new or old blocks and luckily WINNING enough to make a FABulous QUILT!!!!
* Sign-ups let me know who wants to enjoy stitching some blocks unless Life Happenings get in the way.
* COMMUNICATION is the Key. There is NO stupid question so please ask away and let everyone know how you are doing.
BLOCK: 12” Disappearing Hourglass - Crazy Eight - MAKE A TEST BLOCK, please. ImageImageImage
DIRECTIONS: https://d2v8skpstyl8bm.cloudfront.net/D ... -Final.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a124Y6Ho51o
Fabrics - Definitely CHRISTMAS Prints
Background: Christmas White’s, Creams, Grays. Polka Dots with tiny colors, Stars, Swirls

BEFORE MAILING - - -
* CHECK YOUR MEASUREMENTS - Blocks must be able TO BE Squared to 12"
* PLEASE DO NOT Square up your blocks.
* PLEASE add your Address Label to the FRONT Corner of each block
* Place ALL blocks in ONE LARGE BAGGIE.
* Please ADD $2-$3 (depending on how many blocks you send) to help pay for shipping to WINNERs

WAYS to RECEIVE your WINNING tickets ...
* 1 ticket = Let me know you are interested
* 1 ticket = for every 12" NON-Squared up blocks
* 1 ticket = Post a picture of your FIRST block
* 2 tickets = Be a SECRET SANTA
* 2 tickets = Post a TRACKING NUMBER by November 22nd

MERRY STITCHING!!!!
IN PROCESS - - -
Oasis - Linda ... 2 blocks

MAILED - - - -

RECEIVED - - -
TeresaK - Teresa ... 3 blks
Maryq - Mary ... 5 blks
Purrfect-Lady - Mary ... 4 blks
MaryGoRound - Mary ... 3 blks
WeSignificant - Valerie ... 4 balks

If you have any questions, please ask
Last edited by TeresaK on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 10 times in total.

maryq

Re: NOVEMBER Lotto - Disappearing Hourglass - Crazy Eight

Post by maryq » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:33 am

Yesterday (10-27) Teresa and I were simultaneously working on test blocks for November!
OH boy is this a fun challenging block!

Here's a couple hints from me:

1... use a little starch on those bias cuts... they can be a little tricky.
2. After you have the Hour Glass part put together, the block should square to 13"... if it doesn't, it won't get down to 12" when done. ((I now have some orphan blocks :D )
3. It was very helpful to have the Tutorial on my IPad screen to see the placement of the blocks once I cut them down.... I made 4 blocks without looking at the screen and I had to take them ALL apart... :mrgreen:

ImageImage

It was kind of fun to make this block... but I sure don't think I'd make a whole quilt of them :lol: :lol:

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:52 am

I LOVE ❤️ the Plaid!!!

Thank you for posting the tips. When I get to the laptop I will post them in the top.

It was FUN stitching and chatting back and forth. We should have Skyped 👍😊👍

Oasis

Post by Oasis » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:52 am

Good November morning Ladies........

Nice "scrappy" blocks for our scrappy lovers here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Oasis on Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:45 pm

LOVELY blocks Linda!!!! Love the colors. Great tips. Hope you had a great time making them.

I am posting this here because I need everyone on the same page for the blocks to be sewn together by the winners.
Linda: Thank you for the great tips BUT - - The instructions we are following for this block says to start with a 10" square and cut from center at 2 1/8"
Mary and I made our blocks using these instructions so I really need everyone else to use them as well just for the Lotto. I do hope that you will stay with us this month.

I always make one for my Lotto Stash of Blocks so THANK YOU for the tip to make it a 12.5" block.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:32 am

I have 1 block made so far. Not sure how many more I will get done. Will let you know.

LATER THAT SAME DAY:

And here I am, letting you know. I made four blocks and they are ready to pop into the mail. I was confused at first because you said blocks needed to be able to be squared to 12". And I wasn't sure if that was a typo or I was misunderstanding since our blocks are usually squared to 12-1/2". But I finally figured it out. I think. I hope. Maybe . . .

MZ

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:11 pm

Wonderful News Mary!!! I know what you mean about the size. I know that if everyone follows the directions then we should all be in the same ballpark give or take some fibers.
I am excited to see you join in with all your traveling. Any stories to share??

Valerie - Great fabrics to make your blocks with. I Love Christmas greens and swirls :) :)

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:09 am

Ok, I am going to try today, got some short lived gastro something yesterday and couldn't focus on sewing, Got Dad took care of sorta, he was fed, and got his meds. So much for the getting dressed part. We will get back to it today after his hair cut.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:15 am

hhhmmmm, mine is coming out a tad small on one side.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Maryz - I received your Lovely Christmas Blocks!!! Absolutely Love the Red Swirls or of course Christmas isn’t Christmas without the special birds of the season.
Thanks so much for joining us this Month.

Received some wonderful Christmas Blocks. Looking forward to receiving more.

Linda will you be mailing yours. I Love the colors.

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”