Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Thursday, Oct 17th

Daily discussions.
purrfect-lady

Thursday, Oct 17th

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:53 am

Good morning,

The dog and I are up at 3:30. Guess who woke who up. :x But at least I can get an early start on the day! Yesterday I finished quilting and binding the quilt I was working on. Now to clean my sewing room. And we're going into Tacoma today for some errands and if we remember, we're going to be stopping at Hobby Lobby. I need a few Christmas ornaments plus we want a plaque of some sort to put over our new door downstairs in our family room. Bill wants to help pick it out. And it's time to delve into my UFO box. I think I have swap blocks in there plus all my FGV blocks are cut out and bagged, ready to sew. Or I could start a new project! What to do? What to do?

CHRISS - sounds like you could be anybody's Santa and are having a good time fooling us all! Well, I could be, too! And I have my Santa gift all done! :lol:

I got an e-mail a few days ago. Our LQS here in Gig Harbor is closing. :cry: The owner, Nancy, is 70 and just learned she is going to be a great grandmother. She wants to go to Texas to see that baby, plus her hubby wants to travel. So she finally decided to close the shop. Our shop has almost closed 3 times before but new owners have swooped in and saved the day. But I don't think it's going to happen this time.

Time for some coffee - I'll try to stop back later.

Mary z

Becca

Re: Thursday, Oct 17th

Post by Becca » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:14 am

Good morning everyone.we are in 30s this morning so heat is on.
Maryz You need to have a talk with Scottie.lol Sounds like he has you trained.Sorry about your quilt shop.We have 3 here,2 good ones &1 old one.Hope you get to Your Store.

Valerie So Glad you stood your ground at work.Hope you are happy with where you are now.

Kathy Im Sorry you are sick again.Broncitis Sp is no fun.I used to have it a lot until I got on shots.Hugs to you & Prayers.

Sharona Congrats on your DGD .Know you are proud of her.

I got a lot accomplished yesterday.DD iscoming in the morning for the weekend.Willenjoy That.Have to finish some uglies today but most are done & her room is clean.
Have a great day everyone. Becca
Happy Birthday to Valerie.Hope it’s special.
Last edited by Becca on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:23 am

Good morning,
I am not sure who my Santa is! Could be Chriss. I could be Chriss’s. I will pay attention to what she picks out the the show. I will be sure she knows what I like and don’t like. (can you not like anything in quilting?)
California was relatively quiet last night. Maybe the change in weather pattern. May get a few sprinkles today.
Yesterday’s QAPI meeting went better than I expected. I think we have some plans in place that may actually change things. Now if I just had a boss to implement them. Hopefully this person on Friday will prove to be tough enough for the challenge. She is walking into a resistent entitled group. God bless her! Funny I had to speak with my minister about a scouting issue the other day. She said she will continue to pray for me. With luck I told her the Reverend’s office is right next to mine!
I am thinking QIAD or whoever is in charge of the forum pages could post a step by stop how to post pics. Some of us are from before the tech world and really need the extra help.
57 right now but supposed to get up to 70.
2 more days! Then escape with Chriss! I am so looking forward to it. Got my $$ saved. No quite millions like Chriss but enough to have a good time.
Team meeting today about all the patients so guess I better go have one last look and make sure all is in order.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:36 am

Morning
Today I brave grocery store. Will price poly batting while there, I only have a small Walmart locally. Theory is poly batting easier to hand quilt because of interfacing. Going to make a sandwich from scraps & see how it hand quilts with cotton batting before I buy.
Joe had a tax class this morning.
Mary sorry about your store closing. It stinks.

Flo

velvet

Post by velvet » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:44 am

What is it now? Enter password to post?
Today I'm picking up 3 tops ready for the LAer from my partner--"the other Diane"--she lives about 5 minutes
me. We try to work together on QOV and have a lot of laughs. We do Vets cafe together and that is where we picked up the nickname. I have 5 of my tops to drop off also. So I'll hit Joan (regional coordinator) over the weekend. We have over 450 on the list and everyone is double-timing it to get the numbers down. (never will happen)
Hope this post makes it.
Have a great day.
Diane

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:52 am

Good Morning all. I was up and reading and getting dressed and realized I needed to stop by here, Sounds like everyone is busy with secret santa stuff...I am going to search for a box as my SS is fininshed too. DGD quilt is pieced but I need backing I thought I had enough but a trip to the LQS is in order todsy..We have fewer LQS around anymore...one is 15 miles away one is 20 and another is 22 miles away....That might be a good thing though,,but todayits 20 mile away one as I havent been there is quite a while.

Tomorrow I will head to DD house to spend the night with the kiddos..Parents are going out of town for the night,, this is always fun for the kids and me and the dog..(he loves me) cries when I walk in...I will prbably have the oldes and youngest as Liam will most likely come here to hang out with PA..

Next month I was informed we will be taking Liam to Columbus Ohio for a hockey tournament...Seems both kids have tournament in 2 different states,,,one in Ohio and one in Wisconsin,,,hockey is a busy sport...Since this is Sophias first ever tournamnet both parents need to go to support her,,,Liam is fine with us going as he is a pro at tournaments,,I am planning on taking a hand sewing project as I will be on kid duty most of the weekend, now to figure out which to take,,,

well I need coffee and breakfast AND get a few things done..hope you all have a great day.

Maryz hope you get a nap in today,,
Valerie have a wonderful quilt show trip and give Chriss a hug,
Becca you are cold I would be building a fire,,,
XXXXXXOOOOOO

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 am

Good morning all
Yesterday finished my SS gift. Now to wrap what I have done or purchased . Still have a couple of things
to finish. Yes I am making more than one thing LOL I have my teaser ready to go out. Its going to the
north????? Maybe.
Today not doing to much. Need to do my hair so I can go to town tomorrow.
Shirley and I are going to Rochester Il. Saturday. Part of shop hop.

Judi you sound busy
Lyn Have fun with Chriss
Mary Sorry to here about your quilt shop closing.

I have a question My quilt shop that sells vikings has a $15000 sewing machine for 9000 I just cant justify getting it . Should I get it ?
Well I got to move it
You all have a great sewing day
Katy

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:25 am

Good morning, again,

VAL, you really deserve this break. I know you'll have fun with Chriss. I do, too, when I'm with her, though come away with a neck ache from looking up at her. I'm 4'11" and I swear she's 7'11" :lol:

JUDI - have fun in Kiddieland! I wonder if Scottie and Griz would like each other? You made short work of that quilt! Sometimes for backings, I use up any and all scraps and sew them every which way they fit. Makes for some interesting quilts!

KATY - What kind of sewing do you do? Machine embroidery? clothing? Just quilting? I think you answered your own question in your post.

"OTHER DIANE" - Have fun with your quilting cronies doing your good work!

LOIS - what are you working on today in your sewing room?

FLO - let us know what you think of the different battings.

BECCA - I hope you saved some chores for Denise! You've been busy, busy, busy getting everything ready!

KATHY - hope your bronchitis goes away soon. Use a steamer at night and a pot of simmering water on your stove or open crock pot during the day and keep close to it if possible. Can't hurt. Well, it can if you spill it on you, so don't do that.

I've been getting packages ready to mail since we last talked. One was an oversized 1936 photo of my oldest brother at age 16 months. I wanted to ship it up to his DD in AK and finally had to cut a big box down to make a cardboard mailer. Got a few birthday packages ready to go, too. All stuff OUT OF MY HOUSE! :D Now to add the post office to our list of errands today.

Hope your day is sew happy!

mary z

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:27 am

Good morning!

Katy - I got a sale like that on my Pfaff. It was a easy decision for me, as my old Pfaff machine would not run the software program on my new computer. The architechure of the operating system on the new computer would not run the operating software for the embroidery unit of my sewing machine. So I got the new machine. Before the sale, I was not willing to spend the $15,000 the store wanted.

Not much going on here. Hurrying to get the outside work done before the rain.

Never made it to the Batt Cave yesterday, so the mess still awaits me today.

Hugs,
Jana

maryq

Post by maryq » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:22 am

Good Sunny Morning !

I wish y'all could see how pretty it is here this morning... even tho we are past the peak of fall foliage.. it's still pretty here. Give it another week or so.. then it will turn ugly... until snow falls.

Maryz… Gosh if I had know you were up at 0330 I'd have called you. I was probably awake too! See, I told you these tree skirts are haunting my dreams! Sorry your close quilt shop is closing, but you sure can't blame the gal... wouldn't it be great if someone can in and snapped it up to keep it going? If I was 30 years younger... I would!

Becca... Sounds like you are ready for company! I'm counting the days until my DS Shawn and DGS Brennen get here--the ones in Canada. They are coming for deer hunting season in MN. I won't get to see them a lot, but at least I'll get to celebrate his birthday with him It's Nov 6 and mine is the 5th! The arrive on the 7th!

Valerie... I will say an extra little prayer for you too, the not only is this job candidate a good one, but that she TAKE the job too! I post pictures like we used to... through Post Images.. I haven't figured out how to do it directly from pictures on my computer.. the files are always too big! Can't even figure out how to size for my "avatar"!

Flo... Hope you can find what you are looking for at WM... some where around here I have some Mountain Mist batting... not sure what I'm saving it for...

Diane.... Since I am "the other Mary" Maryz calls me T.O.M. You could be T. O. D or Tod! get it... for the other DIANE. Oh my... you have 450 on your waiting list?? I guess I better get busy!

Judi... Holy Cow... you will be do some seriously traveling. Does the trip require an over night stay in Columbus? Any quilt shops on the way. I too am working on my SS gift.... one minute I think I'm done.. then I think of something else...

Katy.... If you've got $$$$ you don't know what else to do with... I'd say GO FOR IT! Or you can amortize the cost of how many years you think you will be using it. Say for example you use it for 10 years. that's only $2.74 a day! :lol: :lol:

Jana..... I just knew this would happen.... I ordered a skinnies pattern, it came Tuesday and I've already traced fused fabric to make one... I'm making the one with Peppermint candies and holly leaves.. Like I needed ANOTHER project!

Kathy.... Did I see you are sick with Bronchitis!! Oh my goodness girlfriend! I hope the meds fix you up really quick!!! Coughing your lungs out is NO fun.... And the itchies are back? YOU will be prayers today too!

Not sure what trouble I will get into today... I should probably do a little clean up around here. I make a mess downstairs during the day and then I come up and make a mess on my porch at night when I'm watching TV... the threads from all the projects are running amock!

I did post a picture of my tree skirts..... but I really REALLY hate bias binding them, so I want to "birth" the last 2 I have to finish... but here's a question....
1. Do I just quilt the front to batting, then birth them
2. Or Birth them first, then quilt, and if I do that, how do I do it so it doesn't get too wrinkly and stays "tight" if you know what I mean!

time for more coffee!

Have a GREAT day every one!

Return to “Sew ins”