Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Oct 10th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Oct 10th

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 am

Good chilly morning!

We were 34* when I got up at 5:30. Brrrr!! But should be a sunny day about 50-55*. We arrived home yesterday morning at 10:30, got the trailer all emptied, cleaned, laundry done, and bed re-made. We decided to move our short cat tree from the trailer into my sewing room, so then the action shifted to reorganizing the sewing room for Foxy's comfort. Sigh. They rule our lives.

Today will be a few light uglies, two last loads of clothes, finish arranging the sewing room, and, if I have time, get back to my woolie project. All the handwork and beading are done - I just need to sew it together now.

We got a call from Vicki this morning at 0600 saying two of her space heaters weren't working and she needed firewood for her wood stove and would we please help her. Not going to happen. At this stage we think a fire in her house isn't such a wise idea and that we would only be enabling her to continue living in her rat-infested squalor. So we're ignoring the call. After a few chilly days (and it's only October!) she might rethink her sitution. I doubt it, but maybe. . . .

JANA - That was quite an adventure Sarah had with the buck! Glad everyone survived, but I bet he has a headache today! So Michael's having a dental cleaning? My niece has such a time with cleanings that she needs novacaine and it has to be done in two appointments. And she's no kid - she's a gramma. Have fun putting out your fall pretties!

BECCA - I'm curious to hear what you find for the pages of your soft book. I used a very stiff, double fusible to make post cards one year for an art display at Autumn's library. It would be purrfect, though I don't know how it would hold up to tiny 'readers'. :lol:

IRISH - I wouldn't want to miss Kathy & Tim's visits either. Hope you can coordinte. If you go to FL, will your sis go with you, do you think? You tell her I vote YES! Yes, your cutie is just that - a cutie!! It must be hard to hand her back when you leave. There used to be deer around us, though our dog has always kept them out of our yard. But now all the woods have been cleared and homes built, so the big wildlife have moved on. But we have an abundance of bunnies, squirrels, and raccoons.

LORI - oooh, do tell - what kind of wine did you get? and Winery? We had a Bonair Red Blend last night with 'breakfast' and it was delish! Just the thing for a homecoming supper!

Tonite's supper is going to be pork and beans! I have leftover cooked pork roast and I plan to put it into a crockpot with some dried pinto beans. Some onion, garlic, and a few seasonings and we'll have a feast. I love beans over boiled potatoes, but that might be a bit too much.

I hope you figure out a tasty menu for tonite, even if it's a plate of tomatoes and cheese!

Becca

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Thursday, Oct 10th

Post by Becca » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:38 am

Hello everyone,sunny here but cooler.Not like Maryq yet.
Tina Are you ok.Sure missing you.Hope the tests was normal.

Maryz You will be disappointed.I went to Walmart (first time in 6 yrs) For stuffing & Felt.Hit Library.Got Groceries,Med,Then Home LQS is on other side of town.Will go Monday when I go to DDS for cleaning.Its at same part of Town.Hard to believe someone could be that afraid of teeth cleaning.Or maybe it does other things to them.You never know.Since I have TG I will not let them touch That area if it’s hurting.

I got 5 Penelepe Dolls cut out.Will get to work on them.They are simple but my Grands sure loved them.

CA wants beans n Franks.I will have banned salad. Becca

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:40 am

Good afternoon! The Hooligans and I are back from walking Ava and taking Deuce back home. He is a small terrier-Chihuahua mix that DGD found abandoned several years ago as a puppy. He travels the 2 miles by himself to grandma’s house, begs for treats, and asks to be taken back home. What a little character! He’s way too small to be going through the pastures or on the road by himself, but it’s a frequent occurrence.

Yesterday we had a trip to Joplin and picked up Chinese takeout for dinner. We had a picnic on the way home. Tonight, DH will be on his own with Chinese leftovers, as I am leaving in a bit to go do Mom’s bath, then sit while my sister, BIL and his brother go to dinner at Pittsburg and go to Home Depot. It will be awhile before I get home! I’ll be taking my embroidery and a book.

The quilt show was fun! It’s pretty small—maybe 50 quilts—but the work is really nice. I was able to connect with a former neighbor through the docent of the gallery while I was there. Sandy and I have been texting and plan to meet later this month or next. Neither of us quilted when I lived there and our children were small.

Mary—I don’t know if the buck panel will be for Christmas or not. Depends on what I get done with everything else going on. We don’t draw names. I usually try to do for the adult females in the family. Since all the marriages, the number has exploded and I may have to scale back a bit especially since I’m only home part time any more.

Jana—what a deal with Sarah! That is exactly why I try to avoid driving in the dark! I see enough deer in the daytime, and this time of year the bucks are totally crazy!!! They don’t care what they attack that seems a threat to their getting to their chosen doe. There will be a full page in the paper of deer/vehicle accidents every week.
A couple of years ago, one of the boyfriends came to the Halloween party as “Jake from State Farm”. He was pretty funny and looked just like him!
I knew you would get that skinnie made!
I would have no idea you had lake effect snow from the Great Salt Lake! I know the northern Great Lakes produce it, but I never thought of Utah! We are expecting a temperature drop here later today or tonight.

Lori—I’m with everyone on building dinner around your wine!

Irish—you are on the run more than I am, but your running is so much more fun! I can’t wait to see my new great grandbaby when he/she arrives. Unfortunately, their home is in Michigan! Good luck with the Halloween quilt finish!!!

Becca—I would probably suggest light-weight fusible innerfacing between the pages. I’ve made them before. Stitch all around the edges and pink the edges. They hold up remarkably well even with laundry. I’ve also made the books in to a quilt—cut the pages apart and put them in order. Of course, it’s awkward to carry to church, which is what the quiet books are for. WM has nothing much for sewing here any more. It's always a disappointment.

As I said in Jana’s post above, we are expecting a big temperature drop here. It was 70 earlier, and we had a thunderstorm in the night. Rain should be coming again before long, and the front is somewhere behind that. We can be 50 degrees cooler! That’s not how I want fall to arrive! Last week we were still in the 80s!

I’m going to go to my sewing room and make some flying geese for my panel quilt until it’s time to get to town. Dinner will be Chinese for DH. At least Boomer will be home to partake with him (begging beside his chair). I’ll be with Mom and will probably have a salad. She usually just has some cottage cheese and fruit, so it’s pretty light.

Mary—that tomatoes and cheese sounds good! If there is a tomato at my sister’s, I’ll have it with cottage cheese although fresh mozzarella, basil and a drizzle of olive oil would make a caprese salad—so elegant sounding for a simple meal!

Bon appétit!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Good afternoon!

This has been a stay at home day! We are still quite cold, just above freezing and the wind is blowing. Glad I am in the Batt Cave. Michael the other day, fixed my heating vent in the sewing part of the Batt Cave. In the summer, we cap it off - don't need the A/C, and so for winter, we un-cap it - it is nice and warm near my sewing machine! The rest of the Batt Cave stays at 72 all year, but I think when we have some plumbing work done down here - Michael is going to add a run of heating pipe over near his desk as well.

Dinner - hummmm..... no idea - Michael loves tomatoes too - his with -yuck - Miracle Whip and a bit of pepper. There is plenty, if I get the gumption to cook, otherwise, the car may know the way, Irish style!

Working on Sarah's skinnie - got my December wall hanging ready to layer and quilt.

Oh - no snow - maybe 6 flakes fell here on the house in the middle of the night - I was asleep, so missed them!

Sarah will be here more often to sew now. The sod company has only 20 acres of sod that they can cut and orders for about 47 acres - she is putting the store closed for the season on the website and the owner is looking to trade sod from next year to another grower for some this year. Kind of reminds of Wimpy, of Popeye fame, I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today. They sold several million square feet of sod this year - a banner year.

Well, need to get going on finishing up things,

Enjoy,
Jana

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Well I didn't cook last night. I made a cake for my brother's birthday and took it up to Mom and Dads. After cake at 2:30 I just wasn't that hungry. So maybe tonight I'll open the wine.

Maryz, the winery is "Monte De Oro" in Temecula California. The wine is Tempranillo 2015. It is so smooth and delicious.

Chickie, sounds like you have a busy afternoon/evening. What are you embroidering? I'm just about to start a Christmas project. Just a small bit.

Jana, I bet it will be nice to have Sarah over more. It's always more fun to quilt with others.

Don't know what I'll be making for dinner tonight. I need to go to the farmers market later. It's from 4-8:30.
I try and get there by 4. They will be close up for the winter soon, so I need to get some honey for winter.
I love their organic flower honey on my oatmeal, and the orange honey for tea.

Have a lovely afternoon.
Lori 8-)

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:56 am

Good morning!

CINDY - sorry they started chewing on you so early today. Chew back!! Put some snarl into it! congrats to your Astros! I don't really follow baseball much. On to the final play-offs now or are we going to the Series yet?

VAL - I'm guessing you are a valued employee if they are requesting you to do your own interview!

DIANE - the explanation Val gave you about your disappearing posts is excellent! (Thanks, Val!) But just in case, I sent you a PM.

BECCA - good news on the twins! Too much oxygen can damage preemies' eyes so they measure it carefully and test frequently. So nice for you to be able to see photos!

MARY Q - I'm here! Just slept in a bit this morning after staying up late to finish a book. And yes, you better get out and stock up before your weather hits!

JANA - I have one book of Skinnies from Ribbon Candy - Quilted Skinnies for All Seasons. I haven't made any yet, but one day . . .

FLO - sorry about the night sweats. I hate that! I never heard of Vit E for that, but I'd try anything!

JUDI - Bill is just now leaving for a lab draw, too, before going to Seattle. Usually black coffee, tea, and water are all allowed before lab draws. Just no cream or sugar. I never knew that until last year. I'm not a fan of black coffee, but it's better than NO coffee! I finished my woolie project, too, and am going to turn around and make it again. For my DDIL! I drew her name for Christmas. :D

SUZ - Happy birthday to your hubby!! I vote for Outback!

SHERRY - glad you're feeling well enough to get and enjoy time with friends!

CHRISS - wherefore art thou, Chriss With Two Esses??

Yesterday we had two deputies come by to take our complaint about things Vicki has been doing the past month or so. APS advised us to do this. One officer was very familiar with our neighbor, having responded to 2 or 3 of our calls before. His advice, since APS isn't moving on this, was to go to court and file for a civil restraining order. There will be a court appearance when we can present all of our careful documentation. When she violates it - and she will - the courts will be forced to intervene and maybe that avenue will bring Vicki the help she needs. We found it ironic that yesterday was National Mental Health Day. Even though her mental issues are a result of a physical disease (Huntington's Chorea), I'm thinking she qualifies!

Tonite, we're having friends over for spaghetti dinner. So a grocery store run is in order, chiropractor, some uglies, cooking, and starting a new woolie project for my DDIL.

Hope we all get thread on us today!
mary z

Return to “Chit Chat”