Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, Sept 13th

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
purrfect-lady

SUPPER CLUB - Friday, Sept 13th

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:02 am

Good morning!

Happy Friday the Thirteenth! A lucky day in my book. Our good friends, Bob & Betsy, were married on Fri 13th. Betsy got her new lungs (and a new life!) on Fri 13th. We got Scottie on Fri 13th 6 yrs ago today (still debating the luck on that one! :lol: ). And today we are going to a pre-release book signing for my son's first mystery novel. You can see how handsome he is on his new website. Just Google ML Erdahl. (there's lots of photos there of my grand-furbabies, too! ;) )

and now let's return to our regularly scheduled Supper Club meeting!

Yesterday I did get my two bindings finished. Now to await my quilts' return from the quilter. lol! Bill went to Seattle for a quick visit with his uncle and to talk to staff about moving Ernie. We've hit a few snags. Because the hospital put him in palliative care, no facility will accept him and the hospital won't change their designation. So now we are back on the hunt for a place for him. I stayed home and did laundry, changed sheets, cleaned the garage, and brought in all my yard art for the winter. I have a LOT of bunnies, squirrels, coyotes, gnomes, etc. And one lone wolf that, now that I'm thinking about it, I didn't pick up. I better go on a wolf hunt today between the raindrops.

Today - I think I'll get to do a bit of sewing. Then, this afternoon we're going to stop by Ernie's house to get a picture of his wife to take to him to see if that jogs his mind at all, visit him at the hospital, and then to my son's first author book-signing event, which is very close to Ernie's hospital. Somewhere in there we'll find a restaurant and have a nice dinner, maybe with Mike and Emily.

MARY ROSE - I'm glad your tests came out OK, but happy they are keeping an eye on you still. My dad and our friend, Lois, both had unexplained bleeding and low Hgb levels. What neither of them ever told the doctor was that they were both taking several aspirin a day! I'm sure you are more aware of the side effects of aspirin, but both of them were of an era where aspirin was the cure-all! And they both had a lot to cure! I'll TRY TO REMEMBER to print my recipe at the end of this post. Or in the next post when I do finally remember. lol!

BECCA - It IS a big day for your twins! Here's hoping Hadlee flies through her "un-venting"! Sorry about the weed-eater head. I hate when that happens, and it happens all too often - wrong things being sent to you.

JANA - haha! I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh. The same things happens in my sewing room. I know where things are, but then I clean, and can't find what I need! Hope you find your spool of string soon! are you snowed in yet? Christmas shopping here is pretty easy. Everyone gets cash and a small gift to open. Our family is much smaller than yours. But now that both my girls have moved away, our holidays are pretty skimpy on family. My son & DDIL and our two grown grandsons. I've encouraged everyone to bring friends to fill out the table!

TINA - I don't do a lot of Christmas shopping these days, but the little I do goes on all year long. It's nice not to have all the expense happen at the same time. To me, it only makes sense! I've even had my wrapping done months early, but learned to put sticky notes on all the packages. I don't want a repeat of the year I had to unwrap everything to see what it was! lol! And to answer your question, If a gift is for using throughout the season, I will wrap it up so there is an official 'gift-giving' and give it early so it can be enjoyed.

IRISH - I love your message to Nick in the cement! Now he knows exactly where he gets his own goofiness! lol! Eagle hanky panky? On the verge of winter?? In Pennsylvania??? Now THAT'S goofy! I saw orange snowballs in the store the other day and thought of everyone here at Supper club! And no, I didn't buy them. If they'd make them in white cake instead of chocolate I'd be tempted.

Supper tonite will be someplace near Seatac airport, which is where Mike's book-signing is going to happen at the author's conference at a big hotel there. Maybe we can even have supper with Mike and Emily in the hotel restaurant . .

And now, because Mary Rose asked: I got this recipe from my friend, Carol. Hers was much better than mine, but then, she's a gourmet cook.

CHICKEN CASSEROLE

8oz pkg herb dressing
3 c. chicken broth

2 c. cooked chicken (or turkey), cubed or shredded
1/3 c. diced onion
1/2 c. diced celery
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. mayonnaise (or salad dressing)

2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. milk

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1/2 c. shredded cheese

Mix dressing and broth. Spread half of mixture into buttered 9x13 pan.
Mix chicken, onions, celery, salt, and mayo and spread over dressing in pan.
Top with remaining dressing.
Mix eggs and milk and pour over casserole.
Cover and refrigerate over night or for several hours.
Remove from fridge 1 hour before baking. Pour soup over top. Top with cheese.
Bake 45-60 minutes at 350* till bubbly.
Serve with cranberry sauce.

gershwin64

Re: SUPPER CLUB - Friday, Sept 13th

Post by gershwin64 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:04 am

Good morning! Today is my niece's birthday, I'll need to send her a Happy birthday on a little bit.
Mary, happy book signing and lunch day!
MaryRose, glad your bloodwork is doing good!
Jana and Mary, I'll probably give them an early Christmas gift of the decoration ones and get a little thing for Christmas day to open. My max I spend on each is $50, but since Frankie retired the grands have been getting $30-$50 and the kids I've been doing a joint house gift of $25...I'm always on the lookout for good sales! We don't buy for nieces, nephews, brothers or sisters though. Spreading out what I do get over time really helps especially now because there's no Christmas bonuses anymore.
I'm going for a massage this morning, I haven't been for at least 7 weeks. My driver is taking me and then him and Preston are going to Tractor Supply. I love that store!
I think tonight might be enchiladas or tacos, I try to keep my suppers to a minimum lately.
Gotta scoot and get ready.
Tina

Becca

Post by Becca » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:49 am

Hello everyone,cloudy here now but has been sunny all morning.We could sure use some rain.
Maryz Hadlee is off ventilator & so far is doing good.Brodee had an MRI & no abscess was found.So both were good.Brodee has spinal tap today or tomorrow.We are praying all infection is gone.And he can get off all his wires & ventilator.
Sure happy for your DS.Hope he has a big turn out for his signing.I will google it.
Chicken n dressing is always good.

Rosebud I’m glad there was no cause for alarm.Praying it all gets normal for you.

Tina I too have been taking it slack in the meals.When it’s hot food isn’t as good.Im ready for cooler temps.

Jana Sure the Fair will be fun for Ethan.Our Little Adalyn was going on trip today & she was excited.They facetimed this morning.She showed us her cast & was showing the names people that signed it.

I got my walk in & now must clean up Kitchen from lunch.Will be deviled egg salad here with soup if wanted.I had eggs that need to be used. Becca

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Good afternoon!

Meeting up with Lori was so much fun. Her sister is a new quilter and loves all things quilts! She learned to quilt in a class from a friend of mine who had a shop but closed it for health reasons. It also turns out that their grandparents lived where I grew up and worked for the same railroad as my grandfather did. More than likely they knew each other. In doing some math, my family settled in the town of Richmond , 100 years ago. We had been there a long time!

There were quilt, quilts and more quilts! All kinds, new, moden, applique and a very old collection of antique quilts from a local family. The quilts were hung from trees and special made A frames for display. Over 1000 quilts! There was a army of volunteers assigned to each section of quilts to remove them quickly in case of rain. Also there were very large tents that displayed quilts as well. One tent was where the presentation lectures and trunk show. I was able to hear the story of Riley Blake fabrics, while Sarah spent my money. LOL! We found some neat patterns from KimberBell for machine embroidery applique.

When they do this show next year, it is worth planning a trip to see it. Quilts in the trees, paths through the gardens, lined with beautiful displays of flowers. Also tons of classes. I think that this may give Houston a run for it's money, except Houston has more vendors. Classes were by many top quilters, including, Jenny Doan, Missiouri Star Quilts and Lori Holt, Bee in my Bonnet. Sarah and I will plan for clases next year.

So while we were gone, Michael got a small section of track electrified and Ethan was running a pair of locomotives back and forth when we got home.

So you now have a book from me - dinner - something easy, that is premade in the freezer.

I am slightly sunburnt and tired.

Enjoy!
Jana

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:47 pm

Thanks Mary for giving us your chicken and dressing recipe, sounds really good. Enjoy dinner out and the book signing. Hope the placement issues can get resolved quickly for Uncle Ernie. My prayers are with you.

Becca such good news to hear the twins are starting to be taken off the equipment.

Tina...……..Oh no, I forgot what I was going to tell you. Oh well, maybe I will remember when we talk this weekend.

Jana...Richmond? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your family knew my first husband's family. Sounds like you Sarah, and Lori had a fabulous visit.

Supper...Hmmm...Not really sure. I need to find something easy on the system. Maybe I'll go pick up some soup.

Mary/Rosebud

Return to “Chit Chat”