Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Quilt backing

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
SusieQ58

Quilt backing

Post by SusieQ58 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:29 am

Just getting started. Have my quilt top all done and am ready to "layer and quilt". My question is, do I make the backing the same size as the finished quilt top or do I make it bigger? I'm assuming the batting is to be cut in the same size/dimension as the quilt top.

kenderosa

Re: Quilt backing

Post by kenderosa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:47 am

I always cut my batting and my backing at least 3 inches all around, bigger than the top. Allows for shrinkage when quilting.

Sue

SusieQ58

Post by SusieQ58 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:17 am

Thanks! This is what I assumed. I also found a good website with very simple instructions for beginners. Amazing that our grandmothers used to do this almost all by hand!!!

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:37 pm

I too cut the back and batting bigger. I also sew the first part of the binding , that goes on the front, ready to turn to the back, sewing it down before I trim the back and batting. This makes sure that my binding feels full at the edge, and makes for a very nice edge.

Jana

MaryGoRound

Post by MaryGoRound » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:25 am

If you have your quilt professionally quilted they will want 3 to 4 inches extra backing all of the way around the quilt. I also top stitch on the outside edges of the finished top (before it is layered) so that is gives it some stability when it gets placed on the quilting machine. I usually leave extra batting on the outside of the quilt top. It can easily be trimmed off after quilting.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:46 am

I’m late to the party here but you should always cut batting and backing at least 3-4 inches bigger on all sides. The quilting process pulls in the fabric, kind of shrinking it.

Mary

Joans

Post by Joans » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:45 pm

I too cut my batting and backing a few inches larger than my quilt. I have a question though. I am making a baby quilt and am backing it with some good quality flannel. Do I also need to use batting or is the flannel heavy enough without batting?

Carrie-Waltz

Post by Carrie-Waltz » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:03 pm

Backing needs to be larger, it easy to cut it afterwards and all will look perfect!
Life is brighter, if you have a hobby!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:09 am

The question of batting in a flannel quilt is a common one. I think it's a matter of preference or the intended use of the quilt. You can use regular batting, a layer of flannel, or skip batting all together. I like to use just a single layer of flannel in place of batting in table toppers, wall hangings, some baby quilts, or quilts that will be used in a hot climate.

mary z

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:08 pm

Joans, is the baby in a cold climate? I live in NM and my Christmas quilt I made a few years ago is a king size and has flannel for the back and batting, it's a nice warm quilt for our bed. For a baby, you might just want a heavy flannel if it's a drag around quilt for baby. So many things to consider on batting or not for a baby quilt. If you have batting and flannel backing it will be a heavier quilt.
Tina

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”