Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

The Future of Lotto

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
maryq

The Future of Lotto

Post by maryq » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:49 am

Hi Girls

Well, I've done a lot of thinking about lotto lately. It's always been one of my favorite things as it's sometimes challenged me and helped me improve my skills.

But summer is coming, and I know so many of you that have enjoyed lotto over the years will be busy with all the fun things that summer brings.
Camping, traveling, yard work (ugh) visiting family, having company. And the summer always goes by so fast.. there's barely time to get as much done as we'd like.

So I have a proposition: A couple options really.

1. Put lotto on back burner... for the summer and begin again in the fall, say September.

2. Instead of Monthly.... Have "seasonal" lotto. For example, lotto blocks for summer, fall, winter, spring. Here's my idea for summer--
"Fun in the Sun"... Blocks would be anything that says summer fun--flip flops, sun shine, boats, summer flowers, 4th of July. Make as many blocks as you would like for EACH month---June, July, August.
Send them all together by mid-late August. I'm thinking with 3 months worth, we'd have more blocks and more winners. Winners would get an assortment of blocks. Fall would have something to do with falling leaves, pumpkins etc...Here again, you would maybe make a block or two for each month, Sept. October, November. We'd skip December and start in January with a "winter quilt"

After all the years that Tina and Teresa worked so hard at keeping lotto going, I would feel really bad if we stopped all together. I have won blocks a few times... and it's always such a treat!

So please let me know what you think, I welcome and value your opinions. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks so much for all your support

Oasis

Re: The Future of Lotto

Post by Oasis » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:59 am

I like #1.

Mother's Day, Father's Day, Memorial Day weekend and July 4th Holidays are coming up and of course, summer vacations. Kids/Grand Kids are going to be out of school soon and college kids will be either coming or going. A lot going on. If any of us get time to be "creative", then we can all enjoy pictures of our spring/summer sewing, either as we go, or in September. These are just my thoughts............... ;)

Linda S/Oasis
Have Fun,
Linda S / OASIS

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:52 pm

Maryq - I agree with you it would be a shame to stop it all together.

If everyone is in agreement .....
I would Love to fill in as the Summer Monthly Lotto Hostess. It would be my pleasure to take it over for June, July, August and September if this would help you Mary.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:44 am

I'll go along with whatever you want to do Mary. We all have different times when life gets busy. I do enjoy making the different blocks.

Lori
Lori 8-)

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:48 am

Hmmm.... food for thought. I like to participate in lotto whenever I have the time and the appropriate fabric in my stash. Though this summer we will be traveling in Alaska so I won't be able to sew lotto blocks again until Sept. I hate to sound wishy-washy but I am happy to go along with whatever is decided, but please don't let it go completely. It's a great opportunity to try new things, use up scraps, sew quick projects, and maybe even WIN!! and I really appreciate everyone who has hosted lotto - now and in the past - and kept it going for us all.

Not sure that was worth two cents, but for what it IS worth, that's my input.

mary z

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:33 am

Yes Teresa I think you guys need to share the lotto if it would help. I prefer the monthly lotto. I am still fighting my back but try hard to get blocks in.
Katy

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:52 am

I have just a few comments:

I like the idea of the seasonal theme and making 1 block a month for me is much easier than 4 or more. I try to participate in lotto but time is a real problem for me.

Less often may be easier on the pocket books as the price of mailing is getting higher and higher.

I am not sure I like the "put in on the back burner" as things tend to be forgotten and not restarted.

Some other suggestions, I would stay away from things such as applique (having a time finding rain blocks that are not applique) and other blocks that may be considered difficult (many pieces, etc) Pieced blocks I think are best, they too can be challenging but also many can be chain pieced. Maybe stick more to fabric themes and quilter's choice for blocks.

I am willing to help out if needed. If we divide the calendar into seasons as you are suggesting, we could each take a season. I want fall by the way! That is my favorite.

I will go along with whatever everyone decides though and participate when I can. I have done lotto and it can be hard to come up with a theme/block every month. It has been going on for a while now and ideas harder to come by.

Just my thoughts, I have one made for April but don't seem to have the time for the applique stitching.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:17 am

Mary It appears as if there is never more than 8 that gets in lotto Not always different people but a few who get in once in awhile. We need to find out why people are not joining. The cost of fabric, mailing, other. I take the time to make my blocks if I like the pattern or the challenge. For one thing we got free shipping cost once in awhile. Also different size blocks in one lotto during halloween or christmas. Just my opinion.
Katy

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:48 am

I see quite a variety of opinions. I have been on again / off again. Mostly I have been busy with personal projects. However I do not keep a "stash" of fabric, so do not want to go out and buy fabric to enter. I want to see the "Lotto" to continue, but I also understand what a huge commitment it is to be a hostess. Sharing hostess with two or more gals make make sense. Whatever you all decide will be good.
Vel
HUGS, 💕 Vel

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:51 am

I very rarely join a lotto. The only reason I can come up with is time.

Ive noticed that even the swaps have less swappers and where we used to reach 20 swappers we now are lucky to get 14 and to achieve that sometimes people do a second set of blocks.

Even in the sewin where we used to have quite a few check in we now are under 20.

Personally I like the quarterly idea. I only have weekends to work on blocks and for me, who rarely participates but always has two cents to offer, more time to complete the blocks would be a help.

I do check the lotto each time it is posted. I will make an effort to join in more often

Chriss
Psalm 91

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”