Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Seam allowance

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
jayjay

Seam allowance

Post by jayjay » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:00 am

Hello. I am not sure I am in the right place as I am new here.
I have been quilting off and on for a little less than a year...small things only. My biggest problem is accuracy with seam allowances. I have tried so many tips/suggestions, threads, pressing etc. I save all the little tricks and the videos and posts about techniques. A 9-patch block is still a shade off one way or another. I want to join swaps but won't do it until I have mastered this part of piecing. I think I move the pieces as I sew and they waver off the 'true' quarter inch and I can't seem to corrct it. I do have that little lever thing that guides the fabric along. I will keep trying and hopefully someday, I will get it right.
jj

auntjana

Re: Seam allowance

Post by auntjana » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Keep trying and you may need to move the needle slightly over one way or the other. Just make sure that it clears the hole in the foot. I would err towards slightly larger as you can the sluver trim to get to the right size.

Jana

avalongirl

Re: Seam allowance

Post by avalongirl » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:23 am

Sorry, I was doing a test run and I posted in the wrong section.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”