Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Questions concerning antique quilt top

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
MawmawCathy55

Questions concerning antique quilt top

Post by MawmawCathy55 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:26 am

I have an antique quilt top I purchased that is made of nothing but scrappy 2" half square triangles. It measures about 100" square or more. I rescued it from an old barn and it is all hand stitched by my girlfriends Grandmother and Aunt. It needs to be washed and then pressed before I attempt to do anything with it. Any suggestions on how to do the washing. Also should I keep it the original size can I trim it down if necessary? Thanks for any help!

rosebud3

Re: Questions concerning antique quilt top

Post by rosebud3 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:56 am

I would soak it first in a gentle detergent, then either hand wash or use the gentle/delicates cycle on washing machine. As for cutting it down, if the edges are badly frayed, I would probably trim it just enough to "square it up" and remove the fraying, but keep the amount removed to a very minimum. Maybe one of the other girls will be able to give you information about how this may or may not compromise the authenticity of the quilt. I'll have someone come over and check out your post.

Mary/Rosebud

mepeace2

Post by mepeace2 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:18 am

I was told not to wash an antique quilt top before quilting. I did and my hand quilter raised cain with me. However if it was like the one I purchased. I would hand soak in a quilt soap I do mine in a bathtub. Then do not ring out Put in washer on spin cycle only. Dry on line. The reason for all the care is your dealing with older fabric not like we have today. Also do not want stiches to come apart. Mine did my hand quilter fixed mine.
I hope this helps.
Antique quilts are a lot of work but I love mine. 1940's wedding ring made from feed sacks.
Katy/ mepeace2

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:43 am

Though I don't know much about this subject, I think the advice already given is good - use a special soap just for quilts which is sold in most quilt shops. Soak carefully in cold water. Don't wring it out. You might squeeze it and carefully fold it to fit bath towels and roll quilt up in them and squeeze. Dry on a line.

Eleanor has an antique quilt collection. you might write her a note, c/o QIAD, and ask her advice. If you do, don't forget to include a SASE.

good luck with your new treasure!

Mary z

MawmawCathy55

Post by MawmawCathy55 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:30 am

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I am fairly new to quilting and have made and quilted 7 quilts...2 were king size and I use the big stitch hand quilting method. I know just enough to be dangerous...lol I do not want to mess up this old quilt top and may very well just square it up and have the church hand quilt it first. Then it is snuggly put together and less likely to fray or come undone. I am going to try to load a picture of it. It amazes me it is all such little half square triangles of every color imaginable.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”