Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

underground railroad quilt

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
TammyAnne86

underground railroad quilt

Post by TammyAnne86 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Hello, I am working on the underground railroad quilt. I am having such trouble with the bow tie block. I have made it over and over again and I can not get my points to match up perfect. My 14 inch is perfect. The trouble comes when I begin joining the rows. The rows seem bulky at all the intersections. I have the rulers that it calls for. Please help.

WeSignificant

Re: underground railroad quilt

Post by WeSignificant » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:37 am

Always remember there are no quilt police. I have packed my book up for now so don't have the pattern to look what may be the issue. Are you using 40or 50 wt thread. The size of your thread will affect your finished block size as will how you press, etc.
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

TammyAnne86

Post by TammyAnne86 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:12 am

Thank you so much! My thread weight is 30.. I hope to get this right because I have done this block over and over again and get the same results. Thanks

WeSignificant

Post by WeSignificant » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:24 am

Try 50 wt Aurafil, It is pricey but strong without being heavy/thick thread. Also make sure you are cutting the right size pieces to begin with. The line on your ruler should be on your fabric, not beside it.

Good luck
A Friend is God's way of making sure we never walk alone!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:32 am

Valerie gave good advice. You might also make sure you are pressing your seams so as to reduce bulk at those intersections. Either in opposite directions so the seams next or press them open. and use a pin at the point of the intersection to hold your pieces in place.

Mary

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”