Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

No batting tee-shirt quilt

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
Shea788

No batting tee-shirt quilt

Post by Shea788 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:17 am

Can a tee-shirt quilt be made without a batting to keep it cooler? What spacing is recommended between quilting lines since I have used fusible interfacing to minimize stretching of the tee-shirts.

auntjana

Re: No batting tee-shirt quilt

Post by auntjana » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:29 am

You could use flannel as the batting or the back. That will keep it lighter, in weight and warmth.

You could just do a stitch in the ditch for the quilting or just tie it with yarn. Enough to keep things from shifting.

Jana

gardenquilter

Post by gardenquilter » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:11 am

In my opinion and it's only an opinion I would use batting to help stabilize it further. As far as cooling I have several friends who use wool or wool blend even in the deep South as it is said to wick moisture away, bamboo is supposed to do the same.

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:07 pm

There are very light weight battings you could use. I would use some type of batting if I was making it. I have made several t-shirt quilts and think you might be sorry if you don't use some batting as it helps hold the quilt together and stabilized. I know that what are called, Summer Quilts, don't have batting, but they don't really look or feel like a quilt. They just look like a sheet to me. just my humble opinion.
As to the quilting spacing, I normally don't quilt more than a Hans width apart, with less than that most of the time. If you go the no batting route, I would suggest no more than a couple of inches apart.
Joan

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”