Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Can I use fleece backing for flannel quilt?

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
KTMak

Can I use fleece backing for flannel quilt?

Post by KTMak » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:47 am

I want to make pieced flannel quilts for family members and back them with fleece - all high quality fabrics. No batting and quilted on my home machine or tied. Would this be too heavy? Initially I wanted to make Fleece Quillows but I have beautiful flannel kits and enough yardage for lap quilts or twin size.

Thanks, I'm new to the forum but you sewers seem like a wonderful resource!
~KT

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Can I use fleece backing for flannel quilt?

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:47 am

Sure you can. That would be one warm quilt. Post a picture in the picture section when you've gotten it made, we'd love to see it.

chriss
Exodus 33:14

KTMak

Post by KTMak » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:07 am

Thanks, Chriss, I will post pictures if I succeed! I have preshrunk all the flannel from the kits because I know that would be an issue with the fleece backing not shrinking. And the plan is to tie as my home machine couldn't handle the bulk of that kind of quilting! Though maybe I'll make large hand quilting stitches near the seams? Just wonder about being too heavy... ~KT

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:06 am

If your using flannel and fleece might be thick for hand quilting
and the Q'snap table.. Another thing might find it is static cz
any polar fleece in my house with the heating is static in winter.
But our weather varies from you..

But it will be very soft. Other quilters have used two 1 yd. square back to back cut frills abot 2inch long around the circumference.
and sew around circumference to make cool blankets for baby carts.

Apparently, they sell really well.

IowaGal

Post by IowaGal » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:53 pm

Thats what my son wants. I am making a log cabin, regular cotton fabric not flannel and instead of fleece am using minkee. Going to tie it, since I am afraid of the stretch.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:50 am

You can do anything you want! Do you still plan to use batting? You probably wouldn't need it unless your son lives in Alaska! It will be a warm quilt. And like Chriss said, we would like to see it when you finish it. At the very least, tell us how it goes! Happy sewing!

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”