Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Pin Size

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Rose92

Pin Size

Post by Rose92 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:37 pm

I just discovered that pin size matters. I never knew pins were difference sizes (width) so I just bought what looked pretty. Then I saw a discussion about pin width and investigated for myself. I found that most pins sold are about 40-55 mm. They are pretty thick and make the fabric mound when you use them. I always hated that. Then I discovered some 35 mm pins and tried them. They are long and skinny with blue glass tops. They are so sharp and slide into the fabric so easy, without the fabric mounding. And I rarely hit them with the needle now if I choose to sew over them (when nesting seams). So no more thick pins for me unless there is a good reason! Check it out for yourself.

**Linda

kenderosa

Re: Pin Size

Post by kenderosa » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:28 am

Linda I agree with you that pin size matters! I too, use the thin glass head type. Thanks for sharing information. :o)

Sue

cindyg

Re: Pin Size

Post by cindyg » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:53 am

Linda - I use those glass head, thin pins, too. They bend real easily but I just bend them back. I like them because you can iron over them and they don't melt.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”