Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

International Sunbonnet Sue take 2 tracking numbers posted

Fabric Swaps, Round Robins and Block of the Month Discussions.
gershwin64

International Sunbonnet Sue take 2 tracking numbers posted

Post by gershwin64 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:50 pm

International Sunbonnet Sue Take 2

Signups until March 16th

Quantity: 13 blocks

*Fabric pre washed 100% cotton. No muslin, no glitter. BACKGROUND is LIGHT SKY BLUE with or without clouds; your choice, can be solid, blenders, swirls..... We are dressing our Sue's like the book, in their country's traditional clothes and holding the symbol of their country just like the patterns/pictures in the book. You don't have to have the exact same fabric that the book shows but you need to be similar.

* We are using International SBS (patterns from the book) by Debra Kimball, MD

* 2 weeks till signup deadline and 8 weeks to make your blocks and send them, I will mail back to you as soon as possible after I have received them all. Mailing DEADLINE with tracking is May 11, 2017

* Applique must be securely sewn down with a zigzag, blanket, satin stitches etc…. please make sure your stitches bite good into the Sue so she won't come loose during washing once our quilts are made. Sadly I will return blocks that aren’t securely sewn down. I DO NOT want them to fray. NO INVISIBLE THREAD.

Block size 8x10 unfinished so to make sure you have it big enough for it to be squared up by the receivers. For example if you are new to applique, you can cut your blocks 9x11 prior to appliqueing and you will have plenty of block with no worries. Please let me know what block you are making because for this one I don't want any duplicates, first come first serve. Post a sample of your block by March 23, 2017

** Mail Date with tracking info by PRIORITY FLAT RATE sent to me by May 11th, Blocks must be in my possession by May 18th. If I don’t have tracking from you by May 11th I will not wait for your blocks to arrive.

Postage $7.20 (it went up again), no stamps, no checks, pre-paid labels are fine, international will be worked out individually. I have Flat Rate envelopes to send yours back in so please don't send return envelopes.

Additional: attach a label to each block with your forum name, real name, city and state. Keep the blocks flat, no individual baggies. Put your blocks in a large zip lock bag with your address on it before sending it in.

If you use stabilizer PLEASE REMOVE IT BEFORE SENDING IN.

THE FINE PRINT

**NOTE: please read and understand below some things have changed. Chriss, Izzy and I are acting as one hostess. We are sharing information. Please understand that if you bail out on any of our swaps, it will be 1 strike against you on all of our swaps.

To join you must be a posting member of this forum for at least three months and be familiar with the way Chriss, Izzy and I run our swaps….

If you sign up and fail to follow through on this swap you won’t be able to sign up for the next swap any of us host that you ask to join. If after sitting out a swap you fail to follow through again you won’t be able to sign up for any swap that WE host. Once you take a spot in this swap it is a commitment and must be met.

If you send incomplete blocks or your blocks are not the required size and of the required fabric and not sewn not securely or the stabilizer not removed they will be returned to you using your postage.

We will no longer be allowing block choosing. Hostess will have first choice of the blocks then sort the rest, what you get is what you get.

Be sure to use priority mail and keep your postal receipt. It will have your tracking number on it. In the event your blocks don’t show up and you don’t have this number you won’t be able to sign up for our next swap. If you do have this number we will be able to track your package it will be located and included.

Communication and follow through are key. If you have any questions please ask prior to taking a spot in this swap. If you have any problems or concerns, PM me and we can take care of it in private so it doesn’t cause problems on the forum. If you join you must comment in the swap thread once a week...especially during the last month of the swap...

Be sure to check in often to see how things are moving along…

I will be getting with Chriss and Izzy to share info, if these requirements seem too rigid please don’t sign up.

I had a question about using wool felt for the smaller embellishments. I'm not familiar with wool felt but here's my take. As long as it's washable and color fast and you prewash it first, I say it's fine......but it too would have to be sewn down securely so it stands up to washing and won't fall off.

A couple hints from auntjana:
When I do fusible - I trace the piece in a solid line and where it is extended under another piece, I make that line dotted - helps me keep them oriented. Also I number each piece from the master pattern as well as what is traced onto the fusible. Then I can make sure I have them all traced.
A great investment is the appliqué press sheet. They are a heat proof teflon mat that you can assemble the whole Sue together on. You fuse the little pieces together , then you can peel her off and make the final placement on the background fabric. I put the master copy under the sheet, I can see thru mine and then everything is in the right place.
Hint - when you are zig- zagging your Sue's - use your "needle down" on your machine. That means when you stop sewing, the needle stays in the fabric. This becomes your third hand in holding what you are stitching in place and it won't move as you make a turn. I find it handy in much of my sewing.

Maryz's tips:
if you use fabric softener when you prewash your fabrics, sometimes the fusible doesn't fuse well. Also, different fusibles have different directions. Heat'n'Bond wants a wool setting with no steam. And about 5 seconds to fuse. It's quite fussy about this. At least mine is. While Steam-a-Seam DOES want steam. And some fusibles are permanent and some are meant to be able to reposition them if necessary.
I experiment with my tension when I'm satin stitching because the width of the stitch makes a difference. But usually, I set it about '3'
I've done a lot of applique and never used stabilizer. I've never had a problem with bunching, either. As long as I remember to loosen my tension when satin stitching.

Tips from Denise:
First, I have to say that I have never done the "needle turn" nor machine appliqué technique. Sorry, but I will be of no help for these!
I always use "Heat N Bond lite" for small pièces, and "pellon fusible fleece lite weight" for larger pièces. You trace templates on soft side of the fleece, you put on right side of your fabric, sew all around on the traced line. Then you make a cut in middle of fleece and turn upside down.
I forgot to mention for the pellon fusible fleece I use. They sell it here on QIAD. Look in the "Shop Online", and than on "Fusible". Click on page 2 and you will see "Pellon Lightweight Fusible Interfacing #906F 20 in wide". The price is $2.30 per yard.
For my hand appliqués, I always do stitch by hand stitching the "blanket stitch" with 2 strands of embroidery floss in same color as fabric or similar to. Like all hand stitching, embroidery, it is to keep constant, I mean length of stitches, space between stitches. Do not pull to hard on the floss threads or else it will make wrinkles?? puckers??
Hope my tips on hand appliqués can be of some help!
Some words of encouragement. You know, I have been beginner too. It is with perseverance, patience, practice, practice and practice. Don't know how to say, find the good words (remember that I am French speaking)... when you see it is not to your liking, take a brake, do something else and come back later. Do not discourage yourself. Have confidence in you. I know that you can do it!

*NOTE:
Please make sure you make a sample block to make sure your Sue's face the right like in the book, all Sue's face right. I made a boo boo and forgot to trace from the back of my Sue so I had to re do mine.
Tina

Here's the info on #3 right now:

Albania.....Tina
Arabia......Jacquie
Argentina....Teresa
Australia....Maryz
Brazil
Canada......Chickie
Egypt
Greece
Germany.....Izzy
Iceland
Korea........Tina
Peru........Izzy
Poland......Joan Toekeyotow
Space Astronaut.....Teresa
Sweden..........MaryRose
Tibet

**Sample Pic posted

Received:
1. Tina..................Gershwin64................Sister Sue**
2.Maryz.................purrfect-lady.............Romania**
3. Miriam................FarmChick.................India**
4.Izzy..................billizzy...................Tahiti**
5. Teresa................TeresaK...................Russia**
6.Jacquie...............shelly322002..............Wales**
7.Joan..................toekeyotow................Kenya**
8.Beverly...............Muse&Sew..................Finland**
9.Joan..................MainelyMe.................Switzerland**
10.Izzy..................billizzy..................Spain**
11.Tina..................Gershwin64................Burga**
12.MaryRose..............rosebud3..................Mexico**
13.Chriss................Marilynsgrammy............Isreal**

TeresaK

Re: International Sunbonnet Sue take 2 tracking numbers posted

Post by TeresaK » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:55 pm

I would but not until next year, please.

maryq

Post by maryq » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:24 pm

HHMMMM I just might... but later on too... after the holidays!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:20 pm

Maybe - next year?

billizzy

Post by billizzy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:45 am

Tina I am with the majority great idea just not at this moment:)

Izzy
🐐izzy

toekeyotow

Post by toekeyotow » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:18 am

Yes, I'm in

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:56 am

I would have to see what my life is doing next year, I don't know what will be happening in our lives... It will depend on which job and where Stephen lands himself. We may be moving but we don't know where to, it could be somewhere else in Scotland, England or abroad somewhere possibly the USA even! (How exciting that would be!!)

But, I do know I will be interested in joining in with the 2nd half of this swap.

Happy sewing!! Hugs, Jacquie xxx

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:46 am

Sounds like everyone is thinking next year which works great for me too : ) I'll keep you allposted : )
Tina

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:35 pm

I agree... next year! It would be super fun to do in the middle of winter after the holidays. Doing a bunch of just one block would be incentive for me to FINISH the ones I received last year!

P.S. See, I'm so far behind now that I just saw this post. Sigh!!!

fabricgirl

Post by fabricgirl » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:28 pm

I think it's a fablous idea it's like eating potatoes chips once you make 1 you'll keep going.

Lois.

Return to “Swaps, Round Robins, BOM”