Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Looking at two machines, need opions

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
institcheswithrosie

Looking at two machines, need opions

Post by institcheswithrosie » Mon May 30, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi, I am looking to purchase a new machine. It will be a few months as my credit sucks since my sister stole my identity, but I want to see if any of you have any experience with them.
Friday I went and looked at a Baby Lock Concerto. I do not want to do embroidery and this has everything I could ask for. I was really surprised as the last time I used a Baby Lock, which was in a class a few years ago, it did not seem very well put together and sounded like a threshing machine. Even the person who did the demo for me said they have really I,proved and that is how they got the major personalities on television to use them. It didn't matter how much they paid if the machines were not quality.
Next week I am driving about 45 miles to look at a Viking Sapphire 960q
Does anyone have these machines or a similar older model? what are the positives and negatives of both?
This will sound terrible, but this is a major investment for me. I am retired so my income is about 1:2 what it used to be and my late husband nought all my other machines for me. I just would test drive, say this is what I want and he would just whip out his card and get it. I do 't want to make a mistake as this may be my last really good machine.
Sorry this is so long

MainelyMe

Re: Looking at two machines, need opions

Post by MainelyMe » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:18 am

I don't have knowledge about the machines in question, but have one thing to tell you about Viking machines. A man I know very well, who fixes all types of sewing machines young and old, told me not to buy a Viking as they break down much more often than other types. Since it's his business to fix them, he should know.
JMHO
Joan

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:03 am

I usually go for the price as opposed to quality.
Brother is what I own right now.. purchased on clearance from
London drugs. Under $200.00 they don't last long but when the more expensive break some can't be repaired no parts to fix them. So either or..

I've had bad experience with Wal-Mart sewing machine not returning there. My favorites were Pfaff, Elna/white they lasted longer.

I had a guild member donate her old singer machine only forward/back stitch. Then found $40.00 heavy weight machine in garage sale not the greatest but OK.. What I don't like I'll advertise back in the guild newsletter.

Skyepaws

Post by Skyepaws » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:17 am

I like my Baby Lock. Not being able to afford a new Baby Lock, I purchased mine used. It is a Quilters Choice, it was still pricey, but was able to use Layaway at the Quilt Shop I purchased it from. I hope you find the machine that is just right for you.

TeresaK

Post by TeresaK » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:00 am

Rosie I hope you found a good machine by now and you are back to seeing again. How awful to hear what your sister did to you. Prayers that life is settling down for you now.

I do hope when you are stitching again you will find your way back to the Monthly Lotto. Your blocks were always sew beautiful!
Hugs always

institcheswithrosie

Post by institcheswithrosie » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Ok, I have pulled the trigger and the shop is ordering the Bany Lock Crescendo for me . (I have no idea why I called it concerto earlier). The two machines were very similar, but the Viking cost more and did not offer the perks the local Baby Lock dealer offers. I will pick it up om the 6th. Besides the regular warranty, I am getting five years free service from the dealer. The woman who did the demo only works We'd. Thru Friday and I want to be sure she gets the commission. This us a little stressful so I have had a full blown migraine for two days, but I an sure it will go away..
I have a terrible confession to make. My late husband usually bought me whatever I wanted machine wise. He was not a sugar daddy, just trying to keep me happy, especially after my son passed. I made sweats and things for him that he was thrilled with. This is my first biggie on my own. Really excited.

Barba21885

Post by Barba21885 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:08 am

I bought a Babylock Ellure Plus a year ago and have never looked back. I used to hand quilt my quilts because the Singer I had was very tempermental. Now with my new machine..have had not one problem and am learning to machine quilt slowly. I can't bring myself to "send them out" to be quilted.

I too, lost a son. My quilting allows me time to think and talk to him. Great therapy.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”