Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Peacock Quilt Pattern... Help!!

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
mlauth1015

Peacock Quilt Pattern... Help!!

Post by mlauth1015 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:03 pm

Newbie Quilter here... Fell in love with the White Monaco Peacock fabric by Dena Designs- its a beautiful jewel toned print. I have bought coordinating green, blue, hot pink, lavender, and yellow fabrics to match... but I need help with the actual design of the quilt. I was thinking of using the hot pink as a sashing... and I am going to cut out the full peacock pattern which is a 14.5 by 11.5 block- total odd ball!!!! It's very hard to work with a rectangle!!! I am having a hard time coming up with a coordinating block design. Oh... and with 2 yards of fabric, I can only get 8 full peacocks. I can get others but they will be significantly smaller. I will attach a link to the peacock fabric for reference. I was thinking of doing a rectangle inside of a rectangle inside of a rectangle (I'm sure this type of block has a name, but I'm not sure- someone suggested a modified bento block). Was thinking about a 5 row by 5 column quilt.

Please help! Thank you!https://www.zibbet.com/fabricsmart/fabr ... -style-bty

Marilynsgrammy

Re: Peacock Quilt Pattern... Help!!

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:28 am

I googled White Monaco Peacock fabric by Dena Designs and came up with many sources for the fabric.

If it's a peacock pattern you're looking for I googled peacock quilt pattern and found many. Or write to the fabric manufacturer.

You'll find it. be sure to post a picture, we love to ooohhh and awwww.

Chriss
Exodus 33:14

Rose92

Post by Rose92 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:25 am

Go to equilter.com and look under free patterns. She has a lot of designs to choose from. I have gotten some of my ideas there.

**Linda

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:14 pm

Hi Newbie,
The fabric is beautiful and I can see why you are using it. If I understand your question you are designing your own pattern with the peacocks in the middle of each section. If that's not correct I'm sorry, but if it is correct here's what I would do.
I start with graph paper and put my center measurements on it. Then I figure how long each side will need to be with the top and bottom the same and the two sides the same. With that determined, you can figure out how many blocks you would need at a certain size. Since you are starting with and odd size 11.5 X 14.5 I would make it easier to work with my adding a small border to it to get a size that is able to be divided easily. You could use the hot pink you wrote about as a frame around it, or whatever color you feel looks best. Good luck! Joan

mlauth1015

Post by mlauth1015 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi! Yes, Joan! That's what I was trying to explain. So I'm going to cut the peacocks out at the oddball size and add a hot pink frame around them- to get to a more normal/workable size.

But my main question is... overall design of the quilt- placement of my 8 peacock blocks. And then the design of the other blocks. I want the peacocks to be the main focus, so I don't want the other blocks to be too busy.

I love the look of the log cabin block on point- but don't know how to achieve that with my rectangular peacock blocks. I wish I was a designer!

Thanks so much for all of your help!!

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Okay. If you want to use a log cabin block and put it on point, it's like making a square inside a square. You take your log cabin block and sew a triangle on each side. When all four sides have a triangle on them you still have a square to work with, but the log cabin in the middle is now on point. You can link them together and they will float in the background color fabric, but your eye will see the log cabin.
Joan
You can PM me if you have any questions.

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Fri May 06, 2016 8:03 pm

Beautiful fabric!

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”