Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Pantograph quilting

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
true4uca

Pantograph quilting

Post by true4uca » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:46 pm

I have a short-arm set-up. I use pantographs and mostly do baby & lap size quilts. I want to try quilting a king size quilt. I read somewhere about quilting half the quilt then turning it somehow & quilting the other half. Has anyone done this and if so how. Is there a video somewhere, does this have a proper name.

gershwin64

Re: Pantograph quilting

Post by gershwin64 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:48 pm

I have done exactly that and it is really difficult. I don't think you would be able to do a long size unless your machine throat size is about 14". I have a Juki with a 9" throat but the take up bar uses 2" of that, by the time I quilt about 60" I'm down to 3" of quilting space. When I took the quilt off and turned it around I was dealing with a 90" quilt after a little over half way I took it off the frame with the help of my hubby and it took me 3 tries getting it pinned back on where everything was straight and pulled right enough. When you turn it you get it all pinned and straight and then you actually start working backwards. You'll put the unquilted part on the take up bar and get to where you stopped quilting and then start working yourself backwards to the take up bar and then unroll the next section and just keep going till you reach the end of your unquilted side/end. I hope this helps.
Tina

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”