Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Self healing cutting mats

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
patches4

Self healing cutting mats

Post by patches4 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:21 am

Hi all,
I need some help please. I cut a lot of fleece and some cotton. I have noticed lint along my cutting lines on my mat. I change my rotary blade but am wondering if my mat is just wearing out?? It is a rather large one so they were expensive when I purchased it and if you all think it is worm out I will have to replace it.
I have used a lint roller to take off the lint along the lines. The lines are not deep so the mat is not rutted.
Just wondering how to know when the mat needs to be retired.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Be sew happy,
Hugs,
TinaB
Patches4

lorettav

Re: Self healing cutting mats

Post by lorettav » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:08 pm

I never, never use the mat for measuring because it gets distorted. I always use a ruler for measuring.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:49 am

Get a new one.. lol Its your Xmas gift to you..

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:41 pm

Tina--I've seen various methods online for cleaning lint from the grooves of a cutting mat... a nylon net bath scrubbie might have been one or a scrbbie sponge's rough side. I've been in quilt shops and their mats are almost cut through. Unless it gives you distorted cuts with your fabrics from too many ruts, your mat should last a long, long time. I've even salvaged warped mats by placing them on an asphalt drive in hot sun or on the deck in hot sun... use a flat surface! (Operator error and left it in the car or trunk not flat... oops! but it salvaged!)

FarmChick

Post by FarmChick » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:43 pm

P.S. When you decide to replace, save smaller good pieces for small mats like cutting for paper piecing or when you want to turn a small mat for ease in cutting. Also, you can use the rattier parts as bottom liners in tote bags. I usually make a sleeve and cover the piece of mat.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”