Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

How to hold/orient fabric to stitch individual motif

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
ridgetop01

How to hold/orient fabric to stitch individual motif

Post by ridgetop01 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:09 am

Greetings, fellow sewists. I have an inherited Pfaff Creative 7550 that I'm just learning to use, and I am puzzled about how to sew the larger individual motifs (in lower 200s if you have a similar machine). There are things like a dinosaur, a snail, two ducks, a floral bouquet, and when I try to sew them since the fabric moves around a lot in the stitching of a single motif they end up being stitched all over themselves, if that makes any sense. How do I orient/hold/move the fabric so I get a motif that looks like it should? Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

ridgetop01

Re: How to hold/orient fabric to stitch individual motif

Post by ridgetop01 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 am

I might have my own solution, generally. I found that I need to disable the dual feed, and then when I do that it seems to work pretty well. I saw online where a video was using the darning foot to embroider a (more elaborate) motif, but when I press "info" on my machine it just calls for foot #8, and that seemed to work on two samples I did. Any add'l specific tips will be very much appreciated, though. I'm just using built-in motifs at this point, haven't tried creating my own pattern using the rather clunky/elaborate designer tool for my machine. TIA...

lorettav

Post by lorettav » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:30 pm

You might try tear away or wash away facing on back

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:06 am

I have a Pfaff Creative 2140 - when I do any embroidery work, there is a stitch box that outlines the space thatvwill be embroidered. I use that first. It holds my fabric to the stabilizer and where I want it.

I do infant onesies with little embroidery and always use a stabilizer. I do a kind of a hoopless method. I put a piece of stabilizer in the hoop first. Then attach what I want to add embroidery too by using a temporary spray adhesive to hold my fabric where I want it to be. Then I add the stitch box around the area. It always holds my work and embroiders beautifully. So I can embroider many things that may be too bulky using this method.

I carefully remove the box stitching - it is like a large basting, and then very carefully work right around the actual embroidery, so I make a hole in the stabilizer. That way I am not wasting a whole large piece every time I do something different. If I am doing another, I just cut a piece of stabilizer to fit over the hole - attaching it with spray adhesive. The basting box for the next embroidery holds it in place. Saves money that way.

Hopefully this helps.
Jana

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”