Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

quilt top uneven (not quilted yet)

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
judy2shoes

quilt top uneven (not quilted yet)

Post by judy2shoes » Sun May 31, 2015 5:43 am

I just finished making the lovers knot quilt. It was my first quilt and wanted to give to my niece for a present. I made it a queen size and when measuring the width and length in several places it is off. it goes from 103 to 105 in width and the length goes from 114 3/8 to 115 7/8. I had heard to press and steam it might help. I wanted to send it out to have it long arm quilted and not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Help!!

rosebud3

Re: quilt top uneven (not quilted yet)

Post by rosebud3 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:55 am

Judy, I just saw your post. I'm not real sure of proper way to fix the size, but I'll pop over to sew-ins and ask if someone can help you out. By the way, I don't remember seeing you here before so I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome you and invite you to join us over in the other threads as well.

Mary/Rosebud

dforseth

Post by dforseth » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Press and steam might help. I have made individual blocks a bit bigger that way.
I have the best results when I make sure each block is the same size before I see them into the top. Check your seam allowance on your next project to make sure you are 1/4 Inch seams. Check your pressing as well to make sure no folds.
Please post a picture when you get it finished.
Debbie
Debbie Forseth
:D

larynx
Site Admin

Post by larynx » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:02 pm

Judy...just my opinion from a seasoned quilter...not perfect by any means but just someone who have had many different situations arrive while making quilts over many many years....

I believe...especially for your very first quilt...you should be proud...although the measurements are off...I believe the amount is nominal

Once it is put on a frame to have it quilted there are going to be some adjustments and shifting...

I believe you should go ahead and steam it the best you can and send it out...:)

Debbie's advice is excellent...

Also, perhaps present your concerns to your long arm quilter...she/ he may have a perfect solution for you

Please post pics when it's finished...I'm sure it's beautiful!

Good Luck!....Sonya

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:33 am

JUDY, congratulations on finishing your first quilt!! A queen is quite an undertaking for your initial project! what everyone says here is excellent advice. And definitely discuss this with your long-arm person because it might make a difference in the pattern you choose to use for quilting it. It it's computerized, there will be adjustments to be made which isn't a big deal, but if it's something like a freehand meander there would be no problem at all.

again! congratulations!!

judy2shoes

Post by judy2shoes » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:58 am

Thank you to all your comments. I did take it to my long armer and she did a beautiful job. Working on posting a picture! Thanks again it means so much to have somewhere to go when I have a question.

lorettav

Post by lorettav » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:57 pm

Unless your longarmer squares up your quilt it will have to be after quilting. Measure again after quilting in 3 places on the quilt (top, middle and bottom). Get an average and go from there.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:44 am

Oh I hate that when that happens.. Headache!

lorettav

Post by lorettav » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:28 pm

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”