Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Double Batting or Not

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
davejack

Double Batting or Not

Post by davejack » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:17 am

Title says it all. Is it okay to double the batting in order to achieve a thicker, warmer quilt? Assume it would be harder on the machine, but a good quality machine like I have (Janome 6600P) should be able to handle it with no sweat. I usually use Quilters Dream batting, if that makes a difference.

MainelyMe

Re: Double Batting or Not

Post by MainelyMe » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:39 pm

I've never done this myself except for small projects that I wanted more padded, but I don't see why you couldn't do it. I use Warm and Natural for almost all my quilting and find one layer to be very warm. I don't think that I would want the extra weight two layers would add, and a large quilt is hard enough to quilt with only one layer of batting.
But as I said, if you feel your machine can handle it, I say go for it. I would caution you to clean and oil your machine a the very least before, and during your quilting. You are apt to get quite a bit of dust inside your machine that would need to be cleaned out.
Joan

davejack

Post by davejack » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:32 am

Thanks Joan, appreciate the comments.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:46 am

You might consider using wool batting for extra warmth instead of two layers of cotton or polyester.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:15 am

Wouldn't it make your quilt too warm, the weight factor on your bed something else? Think a test run on a small block to see if machine can take it, might be in order. That's my 2 bits..

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:11 pm

Have you thought of using polar fleece for your batting? That would make it warm.. and still be easy to wash in machine.. Wool batting looks much better. But if it is for warmth purpose.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:47 am

In my LA class, many of their quilts were double batted. They also showed us how to stuff just certain areas to give a more raised effect. They also used different batts together as well.

I was also taught to oil every bobbin change and to clean out the lint as well. Every time!

My class was at the Handi Quilter manufacturer, lead by the team who does their YouTube videos. They were great.

Jana

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”