Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Havel's Ruler Cutter/Sew Easy Ruler Cutter

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
SandhillQuilter

Havel's Ruler Cutter/Sew Easy Ruler Cutter

Post by SandhillQuilter » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:42 am

I am considering one of these strip cutters--has anyone had experience with both or have preferences for one over the other--do both take standard blade refills and do both cut multiple layers? Info appreciated!

morgans4

Re: Havel's Ruler Cutter/Sew Easy Ruler Cutter

Post by morgans4 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:04 am

Are you talking about the long ruler-thingy with the cutter attached? If so, I have one. I rarely use it. It does take standard rotary cutter blades. If you can layer your fabrics you can cut more than 1 at a time but you have to press down harder, just as any rotary cutter.
I didn't know there was more than 1 brand. Mine is by Fiskars.

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:51 pm

I know Eleanor prefers one - I'm pretty sure she likes the Sew Easy better. It is narrower than the Havel's, but I think she feels it runs more smoothly.

Ittybittygma

Post by Ittybittygma » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:13 am

I have a Fiskars that I really like and use a lot for strips. Need to have it on a table tho that is the proper height to be able to push down properly on the hand-push rotary cutter.

I tried it on my kitchen counter extension and very uncomfortable and didn't cut all the way thru soemtimes. My dining room table was the perfect height since sets so much lower than my sewing table ot the countertop. (I am short) Gave me more leverage to cut properly. Probably needs a new blade too. LOL

But enjoy if you get one. Since ruler is attached don't need quite so many hands to maneuver everything. Good luck, whatever you decide to buy.

God bless as you quilt. HUgs, Shirley Mae

Nanaof26

Post by Nanaof26 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:41 pm

I love my Havels. Made a Bargello quilt with it.

SandhillQuilter

Post by SandhillQuilter » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:42 pm

I ended up getting the Havel's cutter ruler combo and am very happy with it. Also bought a rotating (12") Olfa cutting mat and it is my favorite new tool--works great--one thing about it--takes a long time for the "skunky?" smell to dissipate-I put a couple bars of Irish Spring soap on it for a while and it is fine now--wonderful tool!

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:02 am

I bought one rotary cutter, that came with small mat at Wal-Mart, either a defect or company error the bolt on back of handle continually comes lose when cutting fabric, which in my view a safety concern..

At the time, didn't think of returning to company for new one.. Then,
bought a olfa cutter, and for the longest couldn't figure out the problem till took apart to discover their was two blades planted on the same screw..

Guess, someone was sleeping on the job and I benefitted from another blade.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”