Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What color of thread is used on a quilt with light and dark colored fabric??

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
patches4

What color of thread is used on a quilt with light and dark colored fabric??

Post by patches4 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:35 pm

Good Evening All,

To all hand quilters, may I ask you a question? I have attempted hand quilting using white thread for hand quilting. I have been watching tutorials and a Sarah F. who uses pearle cotton thread to quilt. In her tutorial she used blue and was quilting on white fabric. I first thought this might be for demonstration purposes only. I guess this thread gives a homey look. I wish to hand quilt a quilt for my daughter and future son in law. I have 2 years to achieve this or otherwise it will be first anniversary LOL My second question if using light and dark fabrics do you want the quilting stitches to show like white on blue or is the quilting to be seen by its pattern only like blue thread on blue fabric?????
I hope I am making my questions clear.
Thanks for your time and help.
Patches4
Tina

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your time and helpful ideas.

auntjana

Re: What color of thread is used on a quilt with light and dark colored fabric??

Post by auntjana » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:07 pm

Do it in what makes you happy. There is no hard and fast rules.

Audition the thread color by pulling out severals lengths and lay them on the top and see what looks the best.

Don't be afraid of using colors that show, you hand quilting deserves it

Jana!

FlorenceM

Re: What color of thread is used on a quilt with light and dark colored fabric??

Post by FlorenceM » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:08 pm

I like my thread to match my backing. So I am careful to choose a backing that matches my topper. Also a busy pattern on your backing will hide all your lovely work..If you hand quilt, when you turn quilt over you want them to see the design even if it is a simple one.

LAVIS28

Post by LAVIS28 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:30 am

You can maybe try a varicated thread in the colors of your fabric, it is just another idea, I am a machine quilter and I love to experiment new things.

rosebud3

Post by rosebud3 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:31 am

I have used all three of the suggestions already given. Each one gave the quilts their own distinct personalities, and I was very pleased with the different outcomes. Have fun playing and making your choices.

Mary/Rosebud

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:37 am

Grandparents & aunts have made me some memory quilts for my hope chest all were hand stitched. Thread color used was Light blue, almost grey in color for their quilts. In the light fabrics the thread is visible, which I like to see their quilting work. On the darker fabrics doesn't show as much..

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”