Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Do you clean a quilt after quilting it?????

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
patches4

Do you clean a quilt after quilting it?????

Post by patches4 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:40 am

Good afternoon fellow quilters,
I am planning to make a quilt and would love to hand quilt it. This is not a hand vs machine quilt question.

What and how do you treat the quilt after you quilt it? I realize machine quilting is very quick and hand takes longer. Do you take the time to wash it to get out the quilting lines etc.

Hand quilters do you keep the quilt you are hand quilting covered somehow to prevent it from getting dusty as I have heard it takes months to hand quilt

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks.
Patches4

Honeybrown60

Re: Do you clean a quilt after quilting it?????

Post by Honeybrown60 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:21 pm

Patches4,

I am a hand quilter and treat all of my quilts as a fragile newborn. I wash them in Ivory snow on cool with a second rinse. Shake them out after washing and put in dryer on cool. I don't hang outside becuase I don't have a clothes line and afraid the quilt may mildew.

I don't cover my quilt while working on it. It is consantly being moved around while handquilting and I just like looking at the progression. It does take a while to handquilt if your pattern is really intricate and your quilt is big.

Hope this helps.

Honey

patches4

Post by patches4 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:58 am

Thanks so much for the info, I forgot about using Ivory I have used it in the past.

Also since you hand quilt, may I ask you another question? I have attempted hand quilting using white thread for hand quilting. I have been watching tutorials and a Sarah F. uses pearl cotton thread to quilt. I guess this thread gives a homey look. I wish to hand quilt a quilt for my daughter and future son in law. I have a2 years to achieve this or otherwise it will be first anniversary LOL My second question if using light and dark fabrics do you want the quilting to show like white on blue or blue on white or is the "quilting" to be hidden??
I see you are in Texas, sure wish you were closer I would ask to come over and watch you quilt.

Thanks for your time and helpful ideas.

Have a happy sewing day.
Patchs4
Tina

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:34 am

I am a hand quilter of many years. I wrap it in a king size white flat sheet. For me this works as I use a hoop not a frame. I imagine It would be easier in a frame...

As for washing, when all is said and done, binding on, I wash it in cold water with a shout color catcher and air dry it. This I do by stretching out my kitchen chairs and laying quilt over it.

PM me if I can help in any way.

And keep liquid bandaide on hand. It helps for your hand that goes under quilt to turn the needle. Your fingers will be sore...

Flo

morgans4

Post by morgans4 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:49 pm

I always wash anything I'm going to give away and I'm not overly gentle. If it's going to come apart, I want it to happen now, so I can repair whatever was wrong.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”