Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Whats the widest borders you have used?

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
joan6630

Whats the widest borders you have used?

Post by joan6630 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:41 am

I have a really cute quilt panel my DIL sent to make for my grandsons - but the panel is only about 49" x 49". They both have twin beds (ages 5 & 8).

I am doing a 6" checkboard for the tops and bottoms to add some more lenght, and thought about using 3 borders on top/bottom, and sides to add even more lenght and width.

I was going to use a yellow = 3", and green = 1.5", and use yellow again = 5".

Do you guys think this is too many borders? I would like the overall size to be roughly 66 x 84.

MainelyMe

Re: Whats the widest borders you have used?

Post by MainelyMe » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:22 pm

I don't think it is too many borders. Some quilts have a center medallion and then many borders. You can also make them pieced borders instead of just strips of fabric. That's just a suggestion, I don't know how it would look.
Good luck! Joan

Suzquilts

Post by Suzquilts » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:00 am

I've used larger borders before (4 and 6 inch) to help make the quilt bigger, and also additional borders. They frame the quilt, like matting frames a picture.

Susan

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Here's my idea. What are the panels? Let's say the panel is "Cars", you know, the Disney movie. Panel in the middle, then your checkerboard top and bottom, then a wide border with a small car print to frame. Then borders. Or if needing to make it bigger, before outer borders, how about a round of 4 patch blocks in colors from the panel.

My DGD and I have worked on a princess panel. We have put smaller squares of plan fabric and princess blocks around as a framing row. Then will put a border or borders to get to size.

Good Luck and Happy Sewing,
Lyn

joan6630

Post by joan6630 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:57 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I posted the pictures on the quilt photos - I ended up using a 4 & 6" border on one, and on the other I used 3 borders - a 3, a 1" and a 2".

I am happy with how they turned out - now, to figure out how to quilt them!

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:22 pm

I agree that is not too many borders. Just make sure you have 1 fabric in the mix that gives it pop.

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:50 am

The widest border I ever used was 7 1/2 inches. It was for a queen size quilt and I needed it for the drop.

Impossible

Post by Impossible » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:10 am

I want to make my quilt on point the blocks are 12.5. The sashing is 2.5. How do you figure the size of the corner and setting triangles? Thanks

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”