Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Ribbon Border help

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
martapr

Ribbon Border help

Post by martapr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:27 pm

I watched Eleanor's video, "Army Star - Victory Quilts #3005." Towards the end of the video (19:15 minutes into the video) she demonstrates how to make the "Ribbon Border." (You might want to see the video to see what I'm taking about). Eleanor cuts 5 1/2" squares for A & B then 5" squares for C. Once sewn together, block is squared up to 41/2."

Eleanor says in order to figure out how many patches you need to make - measure quilt top where you want to place border and divide by 4.

This is where I need your help:

I am making a smaller Ribbon Border. My A & B squares are 4 1/2" and my C is 4" squares. These are smaller blocks - so... I'm confused.. Does dividing it by 4 mean the 4 sides? Or does it mean she rounded off the final block size of 4 1/2" to 4" ? What number do I use to divide to determine how many blocks I need? Please help.

MainelyMe

Re: Ribbon Border help

Post by MainelyMe » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Here's what I think you are asking...
If you measure the length of the side you want to put the border on in inches ( say it's 40 inches ), and your finished block is 4 inches, then to determine how many blocks you need for that side you divide 40 by 4 and you find you need 10 of the 4 inch blocks for that side. If your quilt is square you would then multiply 10 per side times the 4 sides, and you would need 40 blocks for all 4 sides total. You will still need 4 corner stones for the 4 corners. Making a total of 44 blocks for the quilt.
Of course, if it isn't a square you need to measure and determine each side.
Hope that helps.
Joan

scrapquilter48

Re: Ribbon Border help

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:48 am

ISNT THIS WONDERFUL ALL THE LEARNING TOOLS FOR US MOVIES, NETWORKING.. I AM THRILLED TO HAVE FOUND. SINCE I STARTED VOLUNTEERING I INTRODUCE MYSELF WITH A SHOW/TELL QUILT. SO THEY WILL ASSOCIATE WITH SEWING. NOW I'M GETTING LADIES WISHING TO DONATE ME FABRIC, SINGER MACHINE, ETC... WONDERFUL..

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”