Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

how to make a crazy quilt

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
newquilter14

how to make a crazy quilt

Post by newquilter14 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:02 am

Can anyone give me instructions?

morgans4

Re: how to make a crazy quilt

Post by morgans4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:40 am

The main thing to know is that you always start with a 5-sided center. It can look like a child's drawing of a house, or have any other length "legs". It's generally done by paper-piecing, or you can use a piece of fabric as your base. Lay your "house" down face up, and beginning on 1 side, lay another fabric on top of it, face down, matching edges, and right sides together, then stitching 1/4" on that edge. Flip the top piece back back and finger-press it flat. I pin it down at this point unless I've used an iron. Then, going clockwise, put on the 3rd fabric, right sides together that will now be stitched to the 2 fabrics you have. You always have to "try it out" to be sure that your fabric is long enough that when folded back and finger-pressed, it has covered both fabrics. You do this until you go over the edge of the paper or fabric base, because generally it is done on a piece of paper or old or ugly fabric. It's not going to ever show, so use up those pieces you would never want on anything else. Or something cheap, like muslin.
When I did mine I cut squares about 6" of typing paper, then starting in the center, put my "house" and started off. At the end I flipped it over and cut a square that was 5".
If you are wanting to add gathered lace, you put that in between the layers as you sew it together. Some lace isn't gathered. That goes on afterwards, like fancy stitching does. You use whatever you want... crocheted doilies, (cut into pieces), pieces of lace, decorative stitches, to embellish it, if you want.
It many times is made of fancy fabrics, such as satins and velvets. Could be anything though. I've seen it in denims and corduroys. Still really pretty.

Well, I just looked at the site recommended by Chriss. I've never seen it started in a corner, but heck, it works for me.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 am

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CrazyQui ... Block.html

here is a link to a crazy block...

you really could take whatever scraps of fabric you have and sew them together and either keep sewing them together or sew them and cut them into blocks and sew the blocks together.

there are embroidery sites that will show you how to do decorative stitches.

good luck
Chriss
Exodus 33:14

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Suggestions: Ruler/template from Eleanor, then check for any tutorials if any from Eleanor site, click on her youtube.com icon.

newquilter14

Post by newquilter14 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:48 am

Thank you very much. Clear now
But do you use batting an a back when finish with top?

QUODDYNLILLYMOM

Post by QUODDYNLILLYMOM » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:15 am

Since you are a new quilter ,I'm wondering if you are new to sewing or perhaps have fashion /garment fabrics. If you have sewn before, you might want to make a vest as they are popular again. El has a book that includes one you cut from squares in Grandmothers Attic Treasures. It includes the vest pattern and several items that could be used as gifts .
Also , she has a paper-pieced crazy quilt that she did in a heart with a fussy cut center. It is in Thru the Seasons-- many projects of many levels
If you are looking for more year round variety, look at Christmas at Bears Paw Ranch, it includes a crazy patch Christmas stocking as well as many quilt, sewing and craft projects for all ages. ALL have a companion video.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:56 am

yes, your quilt will need batting and a back.. otherwise it will be just a sheet of fabric all put together and the seams will show...

if this is your first quilt I suggest you start small and work your way up to big.. if you start too big it can be overwhelming and you might give up.

try a baby quilt or table runner or maybe a small wall hanging... this link is to a very simple and easy pattern... but it's a good starting point... let us know how you're doing...

http://quilting.about.com/od/blockofthe ... attern.htm

hope you have fun
Chriss
Exodus 33:14

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”