Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Tremor

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
Porcha1

Tremor

Post by Porcha1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:10 pm

I have a bad tremor in my left hand and arm from MS. I am having more and more difficulty quilting. I can one hand sew appliqué and sewing easy top of quilt but two handed quilting has become very hard. Any suggestions on how I can still quilt?

scrapquilter48

Re: Tremor

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:24 pm

I'm trying to think, what my mother did to knit when she was living with ALS, which also affects the muscle. Holding things like spoon for eating was a challenge.. If I couldn't sew/quilt anymore it find it hard. Is there an MS association, that could give ideas, or lend tools for you to allow your pride and joy? Wish I could be near, I know how much quilting means to you..

Suzanne62

Post by Suzanne62 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:05 am

Just a thought..have you seen the halo rings that hold the fabric while you quilt? By using that, you could sort of lean on it with your left and guide with your right. My prayers are with you as you continue quilting, my daughter was diagnosed at 23 and has since gone onto nursing school and works a neurology floor at a local hospital.

somari

Post by somari » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:02 am

I have tremor from TBI multiple concussions Used to play much tennis. I now use this tablet and computer for writing. For quilting. that halo sounds good and Machingers gloves would give good grip on it. Maybe an elastic wrist and elbow brace would give strength. Plus something for the shoulder. There is also a posture support from quilter supply. Holds shoulds properly but not harshly. [sorry for typos - it's my brain going fasster than my fingers] AND be sure to take 5 minute GOOD stretches walk to the kitchen and back after each 15 minues work or whatever suits. even if the stretches are just as long as a session of quilting. Make sure that your chair is comfortable and supporting.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”