Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

HELP - Quick Trip Quilt

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
uniquequilts

HELP - Quick Trip Quilt

Post by uniquequilts » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:32 am

After teaching this pattern to a group, we are having trouble with one of the quilts not getting it squared. This is driving me and several others crazy as to the reason why. This needs to be squared and trimmed in order to add the borders. The quilt looks perfect when it is open flat and the seams are what appears to be just about perfect also, however one side of the quilt is longer than the other side. When you fold the quilt in the middle, the seam down the middle slopes or slants downward. Why is this not straight? Any help would sure be appreciated.

MainelyMe

Re: HELP - Quick Trip Quilt

Post by MainelyMe » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:37 pm

Have you tried just counting the number of blocks on both sides and down the middle? Maybe an extra block was accidentally sewn in and then that continued in other rows.

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:24 am

Can't help but wonder if you got this problem figuered out?

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:45 am

This quilter never has anything match up, always 1/4 seam off quinter, or blocks to lopt sided. I need lots of improvement. Good luck.

quiltwithmom

Post by quiltwithmom » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Ask this question in " El's Corner" you may get your answer there. I make Quick Trips all the time and usually they do not square up. It doesn't bother me since they are charity quilts and the people that receive them, love the quilts no matter what.

MissMolly

Post by MissMolly » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm new to quilting and I had this problem when I made my first quilt (Quick Trip) last year. It was longer on one side than the other. Number of rows same and number of blocks same. Laying flat - it looked great.
Being a newbie - I ended up ripping it apart and pinned the heck out of it and sewed it again. It was lots better.
i also found that you need to sew two strips together sewing from top down - then the next row sew from the bottom up and it kept it from doing the banana thing.
My second Quick Trip quilt was smooth going...

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”