Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What pattern was the very first quilt you made?

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
scrapquilter48

Re: What pattern was the very first quilt you made?

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:32 am

I tried trip around the world harder than it looks.. Yours turned out lovely.. Matches the color on the wall..

yellowstone

Post by yellowstone » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:03 pm

El's log cabin, so fast to make....though I never actually finished the top. It was more of a practice, to see if I can sew 1/4 inch ok. First finished quilt was a stack and wack made in class from a local quilt shop. Love stack and wack now :)

Crafty1s

Post by Crafty1s » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:14 pm

My first was a t-shirt quilt :)

yellowstone

Post by yellowstone » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:30 pm

El''''s log cabin,though I never actually finished it, just the top. First finished quilt was a stack and wack

AbitaQuilterMom

Post by AbitaQuilterMom » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:14 am

Churn and dash from scraps. Grandmother-in-law led me the whole way - hand cutting using paper patterns, hand sewing using a metal thimble, and hand quilting using a large hoop propped in a lawn chair in front of me. It was hard but she was very patient. It is a wonder I stuck with it. "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!" I'm still quilting (machine now) after thirty-three years in Abita Springs, Louisiana

larynx
Site Admin

Post by larynx » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:01 am

AbitaQuilterMom.....I enjoyed your story...what sweet memories you have of your grandmother-in-law...I have many fond memories of both my Grandma's, one that helped to teach me quilting and one who taught me embroidery on some of the finest Irish linen..:) As I recall the churn dash or the shoo-fly was my second quilt...:)...keep those memories alive!...keep quilting always...I always have good memories when I am making a quilt!....Sonya.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:29 am

My very 1st many many years ago, now.. Wedding Quilt yes the oval shape type red/white.. Was to be my younger bro wedding gift.. Well till a professional quilter commented it was ugly I went home very disappointed threw everything in garbage.

Nxt day I explained my story to another quilter, she noted never to listen to all those comments because each his own masterpiece. If not good enough for gift giving could use for my own bed, or kitten.

From that day on I continue to work at my quilting improving yearly.. There is so much out there for us to learn that wasn't years ago..

BabaZ

Post by BabaZ » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:22 am

My first was a Log Cabin in Americana colors. More of a table topper than a quilt. I have used this piece for many different things. I have washed and dried many times in the last 12 years.

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Fri May 15, 2015 8:29 am

Log Cabin and then Flying Geese.

MEPIECE2

Post by MEPIECE2 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:52 am

Gramas fan set on point with appliqued hearts.

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”