Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

blade sharpeners

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
Meema

blade sharpeners

Post by Meema » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:42 pm

I am spending a fortune on new rotary cutter blades. Do the various sharpeners work?

auntjana

Re: blade sharpeners

Post by auntjana » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:25 am

I have one of the blade sharpeners and I am not too thrilled with it - seems as if the blade doesn't sharpen nicely. Could be operator error on my part - but if you have a Harbor Freight Tool Store near you, you can pick up blades really cheap there for the rotary cutters.

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:20 am

I think the blades at Harbor Freight are called 'replacement carpet cutter blades'. At Harbor Freight here they are 2 in a pkg. for $1.99. I also think the type of mat you use makes a difference in how long a blade stays sharp. I still like the Olfa mats best. (And of course, it helps if you don't roll over a pin - which I often manage to do just after I put a new blade in the cutter!)

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:41 am

Ladies, speak to your husbands, their might be a tool in his hobby shop that sharpens his cutting saws, that could be used for rotary sharpeners. A quild member sends our blades to get sharpen to her husband for a fee. Told he has his tools that do a nice job...

That was her trade secret she wouldn't share. Some sharpeners I told from quild8 members sharpen but last a short while. Looking on ebay the quality range in $100.00 not sure I would pay this much for sharpener. Of course, the lower sharpens but not for long, you could still save for your own ruler.

I have been lucky to purchase rotary cutters lately for $8.00 quite good but blades don't seem to last as long as OLFA OR FISKARS...

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”