Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Triangles to Squares

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
fanquilt

Triangles to Squares

Post by fanquilt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:02 am

Hiya,

This seems so easy but everytime I do it I have a mess in the middle and the seams don't match. HELP! What am I doing wrong. Take a square and cut it across and sew..ok that works. Then take them all and sew up to make a block...and no a big mess.

June

MainelyMe

Re: Triangles to Squares

Post by MainelyMe » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:20 pm

June, could you explain it a little differently? I don't understand the problem or question.
The only thing I can think of is, after you sew the two triangles together and make a square, are you making sure it is the correct size? In other words, are you squaring them up?
Then how are you putting the squares together? Are you making pinwheels?
Joan

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:29 pm

One thing that comes to mind with your problem is that you haven't added enough for the seam allowance and then after you have sewn the triangles together - press - then - square them up with a ruler to all the same size. before you sew them all together.

Hope that this may help
Jana

fanquilt

Post by fanquilt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:45 am

Hi Ladies,

How do I put a pic here and then you can see what my problem is?

June

Quilter7

Post by Quilter7 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:23 am

June, Go to "Quilting Photos". In that area you will find a discussion about how to post photos. You need to upload to the Photobucket website then copy the URL and use the "Insert Image Code" button above the Message box and paste the URL from Photobucket. The instructions have always been very good. Print them out and I think you will understand. Photobucket has changed but I was recently able to post pictures.
Carol

FlorenceM

Post by FlorenceM » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:46 am

make sure your bias cut is not on the outside of your finished square. If bias cut side is on outside of your finished square it will stretch out of shape

fanquilt

Post by fanquilt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the great response and I will endeavor to get some pics here to show the problem. And then try to re-explain what it's looking like.

June

QuiltGram8

Post by QuiltGram8 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:20 am

I heard in this post, that you need to try Eleanor's method.
Start with a 7 1/2 in square. Draw a line diagonal. Then sew a
quarter in on each side of that line.

Then with rotary cutter, cut down the drawn line, press out the two squares and then with a square up ruler, you can square them up.

That is so much easier than cutting triangles and trying to sew correct sews on a bias.

Hope this helps.

You probably can find Eleanor's technique in some of the free videos to help you along the way. I learned this from her Quilt in a Day TV programs. In fact it was Eleanor's quick methods and short cuts that got me so excited about quilting.

Hugs
Velda
HUGS, đź’• Vel

fanquilt

Post by fanquilt » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:10 pm

Hello Everyone,

I found out thru Fons and Porter TV show was I was doing wrong. But I've not found an answer for a five pointed star problem. Once it is all made there's a big ugly mess in the middle. So if I trim won't it unravel and come apart? Help please. OH I found out thru El Media center how to do a mitered corner this week...wow that is really something to look at when done.

Have a nice weekend.
June

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:43 am

Another system is Thangles, paper with lines that help sort out the woes and train the mind to work with triangles. Or fly geese rulers work good.

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”