Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
patches4

Re: What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

Post by patches4 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:03 pm

YES-- pilot2B
You and I must have had the same formula, relatives, air we breathed, or just something in our genetics. I am glad there is someone else that has the same thoughts. With a household DH, DD SIL and DGS and their pets a long haired dog and 2 long haired cats, I never get to my sewing. It takes me longer to get it out, remember where I was than the time I have to stitch. It was not my Mom's doing she says, however, when I was a kid, Thursdays was the free day because all the work was done inside and out and that was the day we stitched.

Clearly this has not worked for me.
At least I know I am not completely nuts, just a bit off true center.

Tina B
Patches4

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Fri May 29, 2015 2:33 am

oops
Exodus 33:14

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:30 am

THIS IS AN UPDAT FROM LAST YEAR. HAD DIVORCE DATE WRONG. ha
- I saw the tip and thanks for sharing it with us. For these new to sewing, I wish the thread would have been a darker color. But, neverthe less, good tip

I spent the day, Monday, taking a sort of virtual trip via computer through Steeple Aston, Oxforshire (where we lived) and the RAF base in Upperheyford. IT closed in Dec. 1993. Just a bit of nostalgia and a few tears. I loved being there 2/7/63/ - 2/7/65, however marriage was not the best. We were married 1/31/63, divorced 7/75. Would love to go back, and perhaps one day I will.

Thanks again, dear one.

Blessing and hugs,

Helen

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue May 10, 2016 3:12 am

I save even the smallest scraps. I trim them into 1-1/2" squares and have a basket of them next to my sewing machine. Now instead of using "spiders" for jump scraps, I use the squares. Ten months later, I had a postage stamp quilt top FINISHED! With little effort. From fabric that most people would throw away.

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Sun May 15, 2016 11:13 am

Always buy more fabric than you think you need.

velvet

Post by velvet » Fri May 20, 2016 1:42 pm

I cut any leftover fabric into 2 1/2inch and drop into bag next to my machine. Shake up bag and instead of using spider, sew 2 squares together. When end of sewing use 2 more squares together. When your bag gets low, sew 2 sets of 2 together in the off and on sewing like above. Then you can sew the row of 4's together. Making a square of 4x4's. Great way to use up scraps. Make sashing of 2 1/2. Terrific charity and children quilts. Surprise! quick and easy, before you realize it you are done. Try it.

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:17 am

Halloween will soon be here and I have a neat way to make fabric pumpkins Get some inexpensive toilet paper, wrap batting around it and set it on a piece of Halloween fabric, gather fabric up to top of toilet paper roll, push fabric through top of tissue roll. Then insert a twig, You can eliminate batting, some use it and some do not..You might want to use some glue to secure fabric in hole.
Have fun!

Hugs,

Helen

WeeOne

Post by WeeOne » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:24 am

My new Motorhome has tile floors. I've been chasing my sewing foot pedal all over under the machines. The other day I was walking through the grocery store and saw a display of square silicone potholders. I bought one and it works great under foot pedal. Not slipping away anymore. Bought a second one for the HQS16.

Lyn

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:17 am

omg ladies some of you could send your tips to fons/porters to get a free subscription to their magazine for 1yr..

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:38 pm

I usually have several tubes/sticks of Elmer's Glue at hand. Started putting in an air tight container and it doesn't dry out.

Return to “Chit Chat”