Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
QUODDYNLILLYMOM

Re: What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

Post by QUODDYNLILLYMOM » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:46 am

i STARTED A message and lost it ,so here I go again to finish. Do not know what happened! Anyhow, I've been doing my sew/quilt re-organizing cleaning and had a whole box of leftovers, try-outs and colors that weren't used blocks, So I grouped them into blend -able color groups and am making flying geese to turn them into stars--borders will be colors of these star points so I have a head start on some charity quilts for this year.

SewMuchFun

Post by SewMuchFun » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:07 pm

I've saved myself from getting s huge headache by putting a coffee filter under my needle befpre changing it. No more hunting for that needle that falls into the bobbin area!

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:25 pm

If you find fabric and you like it...BUY IT!!!!!!!
Also, when measuring fabric, use same ruler, as some differ. For example, you use one brand of ruler to measure fabric for a specific pattern and then measure more fabric for same pattern with a different ruler, you may run into problems different brand of ruler, you could have problems.

QuiltGal24

Post by QuiltGal24 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Here's a tip.
When you need to make fussy cuts but don't have a fussy cut ruler, don't fret, instead take an index card and draw a square measuring the finnished size of the FC that you need. Cut out then place on your fabric and with a pen, draw around the inside of the square and cut out your FCs. Hope this helps.

If you need a square thats too big to fit an index card, subtitute it for a piece of heavyweight card stock or template plastic.

Berrill

Post by Berrill » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:06 pm

My flooring is wooden, cheap particle board type sheets. We wrote poetry in texta and self portraits using old folk art and hobbytex paint and then I lacquered it.
You ladies with carpet probably don't realise HOW MUCH damned fluff appears from nowhere, but I have a quick and cheap cleanup.
An old static mop handle/head and used baby wipes (only the clean ones, I mean lets face it, a wipe over a bubbies privates doesn't attract much urine, eh)
they go into a wipes container that has about an inch or so of disinfectant in the bottom.
Squeeze out the excess, lay flat on the floor, sit the static head on top and punch the wipe corners into the holder thingys on the head.
Wipe all over the floor and then chuck it in the bin.
Wallah!!! clean floor, no extra cost, nice smell, ready to go again

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:18 am

BEST TIP SO FAR, ALWAYS START YOUR MORNING WITH COFFEE..

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:10 am

TIP: Make sure your computer has virus protection pkg. worth the money, I failed to follow on screen message that stated time to buy pkg protection, and now I am looking at repairs for my better quality computer. I managed to save this small older version for now.. on a free trial protection.

shelly322002

Post by shelly322002 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:29 am

Hi ladies, I just had to share this tip with you that i saw... great for hand sewing!!!
xxx Jacquie xxx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQKxtLx ... QKxtLxOfnA

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:31 am

When satin stitching, instead of a knot or back-stitching at the beginning, I take the top thread, pull it forward, and stitch right over the top of it for about an inch. It anchors firmly in place so there will be no un-stitching itself later.

Pilot2b

Post by Pilot2b » Mon May 18, 2015 6:14 pm

This isn't a tip, but are you like me, when I say my house must be as neat as a pin before I will start any quilting or sewing. My friends call me neat nick. I will never change--HA Hugs Helen

Return to “Chit Chat”