Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

General discussion of the quilting world, and topics that don't fit in other categories.
QIAD-Linda

What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

Post by QIAD-Linda » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:51 pm

We all have tips, methods or brilliant ideas that we use in quilting. For example, I rarely buy fabric with a set pattern in mind. I usually purchase 2 to 3 yards of each fabric since I don't know exactly how I will use it. Because of this I usually have lots of scraps left over that aren't enough for a quilt but too much to toss out. So, I cut my scraps in 2 1/2" strips or 5" squares. I store all the strips/squares until I have enough to make a scrappy quilt. Works great, like getting a free Jelly Roll!

What is your idea?

QuiltGram8

Re: What is your "best tip" to pass on to the rest of us?

Post by QuiltGram8 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:26 am

This might be great as a separate catagory. It is somewhere I would stop in and check everyday. I love tips and tricks from everyone.
Right now, I only have one. This winter, I made a "thread catcher" which is weighted and hangs besided by machine. I always need a place to drop those little threads and bits and pieces.

Can't just throw them over my shoulder like El. LOL I got my pattern by asking around with friends and doing a search on line. It is the best new addition to my sewing projects.

Velda
HUGS, 💕 Vel

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:12 am

One that I teach my students is that thread has a one way twist -- thread your needle first as it comes off the spool -- and then knot the end that you cut. This will keep the thread from tangling and knotting over itself. Try not to thread your needle from a bobbin - it is wound the wrong way.

Jana

sharonkl

Post by sharonkl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:43 am

Measure twice....cut once!! I learned this the hard way, several times!!

ollie1shoe

Post by ollie1shoe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:15 pm

best tip that i can think of is enjoy your time in the sewing room whether it be 30 minutes are all day this is our special time

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:47 pm

My best tip is:
I bought some inexpensive white binders and put those clear plastic slip-in type pages in each one. I labeled them along the spine:
Quilting Tips
Patterns
Sewing Tips etc.
You could label them anyway you want. It is so easy to print out a pattern or slip in a magazine page of something important to you. I use them constantly. So easy to find things! Was one of my best ideas!
I also keep one with photos of the quilts I have made....who I made them for...when...and any info I want to remember. I refer to these for color choices for future quilts.

suzette58

Post by suzette58 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:59 pm

My favorite tip is my binding container. I took a diaper wipe container and had hubby cut me a piece of PVC pipe. The white plastic pipe. The pipe was cut so it will roll inside the container. As I iron the binding I roll it onto the piece of pipe. Feed the end of the binding through the opening and pull it out as you sew it on.

Suzette
Suzette

QIAD-Linda

Post by QIAD-Linda » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Suzette, what a great idea! I need to do this! I am always struggling with my binding when I am machine sewing it to the quilt. I roll over it with my chair, step on it, tangle it, etc. Can't wait to make my own binding container!

Susie, I am inspired! I am forever looking for a pattern that I have used before and now can't find! I love the binder idea! Thanks!

MainelyMe

Post by MainelyMe » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:56 pm

The best tip that immediately came to mind is, take as many and different quilt classes as you can. I've learned so much and always come away with at least one special tip from each teacher. They get so specialized at what they do that they can give you great tips that you might never learn on your own.

Namarose

Post by Namarose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:36 pm

I use a subway bag to put my threads & fabric pieces into. I have a jar for needles into.
I have a tall box to catch my stripes I sew one after another in. I pull up my first strip to add my next color on. Then I press & cut my blocks. Cat can't play with my strips. I always have a sew off fabric, then I cut my work off.

Return to “Chit Chat”