Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Flying Geese Block - Underground Railroad Quilt

Stuck on a block, confused about directions, or have an incredible tip? Try this forum if you're looking for help or guides to improve your quilting techniques.
Kapua

Flying Geese Block - Underground Railroad Quilt

Post by Kapua » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 am

I wonder if anyone can help me that has made the above quilt. I have just come to put the blocks of flying geese together and it would appear that the measurements do not add up. I have three flying geese all two and half inches by four and half inches. When sewn together they will make six and a half inches yet it says that you should cut sashing seven inches. I am just can't work this out. Is there an error in the book by any chance.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jean

Nadine2007

Re: Flying Geese Block - Underground Railroad Quilt

Post by Nadine2007 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:53 am

If you sew them together you start with 7 1/2" don't you only loose 1/2" because you don't count the ends right? Can you tell us what book and page you are on if you sew them together and they are 2 1/2" each you should only loose 1/2" because you don't count the ends right? That would make them 7". I'm just trying to help figure this out.

eymillbrook

Post by eymillbrook » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:41 am

I had to take the four pieces apart and sew them back together with a smaller seam allowance as well as iron the seams apart so that it stretched out even more. It definitely was one of the more 'problem' blocks in the UGRR quilt for size.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:41 am

Yes fly geese a challenge until you experiment with Eleanor Burns fly geese rulers, then everything matches perfectly. I have huge trouble with triangles matching, but did great with rulers.

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:37 am

The quickest solution is to learn to use the special rulers. They make the quilt square a real quick breeze! I love sewing that square and have used it on many occasions just for a pillow to give to a bird lover.

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:09 pm

The size of the geese do not correspond with the sizes on the ruler. Could not figure out how to use the ruler.

The geese in the Underground Railroad Quilt were difficult.

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:10 pm

The size of the geese did not correspond to ruler sizes. This block in the Underground Railroad book was difficult.

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:12 pm

The size of the geese did not correspond to ruler sizes. This block in the Underground Railroad book was difficult.
www.quilt in a day.com'>www.quilt in a day.com

Return to “Quilting Technique Discussions”