Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

DEAR JANE QUILT - (where Janiacs go to post!)

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
purrfect-lady

Re: DEAR JANE QUILT - (where Janiacs go to post!)

Post by purrfect-lady » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:24 am

I've spent the last 3 days working almost non-stop on Jane. I have my top border blocks finished and 3 corner blocks. Whew! that fourth corner block looks positively vicious! This morning, I'm going to sew the top border together and onto the quilt. Then I'll starting down the right side. I have 39 triangle blocks and 1 more corner to do. And I have 3 weeks before we leave here to start for home. I hope I can get them done! AND together!

Mary

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:37 am

I'm so bummed out! I got my top border all set to sew onto my quilt and it "fidn't dit!" the border is 2-1/2" shorter than the quilt! What did I do, I'm asking myself. I remeasured everything and finally just carefully fold it up, packed it away, and opened the wine. It was early to start drinking, but it seemed to be a special drinking occasion! Arrgghhhhhh!!!!!

When I get home again, and have more space to spread things out, maybe I can figure out what I did. Or didn't do.

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Oh my goodness Mary, what a bummer! Maybe when you stop by here we can lay it out on the pool table and see if we can figure it out together?
Tina

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:23 am

Tina, maybe that would help. I'll dig her back out again when we roll into Deming!

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Sounds good :-)

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:09 pm

How's all you Janiacs doing?

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:44 am

I finsished my JANE!! I did a 2-week marathon to finish the last three borders - 39 triangle blocks - and 1 last corner block. I confess, towards the end, I was simply appliquing some of those terribly impossible pieced patterns. From a short distance, you can't tell! I used black sashing throughout and then I added a 3" black border around so that after DH quilts it, I can scallop it. Today I ordered a fat back, so it should come within a week.

I'm not sure how I'll quilt it, but I'm taking suggestions. DH will do it with his Q-bot on our LA. I do plan for him to use cream colored thread.

Now let's talk binding. I was considering making a scrappy binding from the bigger pieces of fabric that are in the quilt. My problem is that most of those pieces are pretty small, and this needs to be a bias binding because of the scallops. So I might just choose my favorite color. Still considering.

Now, to see if there is life after Jane! After 3-1/2 years of toting her around the country, I feel like I've lost weight! And also a little lonesome. Maybe now I'll have to start hauling the quilt around! I will post a photo of it finished. when it's finished.

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:40 am

wow, that was some hard work Mary. I think for a binding it should be hot pink or neon green. after all Jane was crazy.
Psalm 91

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Fri May 22, 2015 3:57 am

Jane's turn on the quilting machine has finally come!! Happy Day! I plan to freehand meander her myself. Then I will put on a bias binding (yes, Chriss - it's ALMOST neon green! lol!) and scallop her edges. I think she'll be completely finished within the week. I plan to display her on our one big wall where I put quilts. At least for a while. I'll post photos when she's ALL DONE.

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Thu May 28, 2015 6:47 am

Whew!! I finished my Crazy Jane! Some would say I'm Crazy Mary, but I prefer not to go down that path of reasoning! lol! I worked on this grand lady for 4 winters while down south. She ended up at 89" square. I quilted her with a freehand meander. And as long as I went that far, I decided to go the wee bit extra and add the scalloped edges. Now, she is ALL MINE!! Image
[/URL][/img] Image
[/URL][/img] Image
[/img] Image
[/img]

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”