Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Beginner Patterns for Newbie

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
mrsg730

Beginner Patterns for Newbie

Post by mrsg730 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:01 am

Hi
I am new to this community and to quilting. I just finished my first four patch quilt and am ready to try something a little more interesting. I saw a few of Eleanor's you tube videos such as the "Tossed Nine Patch" technique, the Whirlygig technique and the "Twice as Nice" technique any of which I would love to try. Does anybody know where I could find patterns using any one of these techniques?

Thank you
Evelyn

auntjana

Re: Beginner Patterns for Newbie

Post by auntjana » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:04 pm

Those patterns are available at your LQS - local quilt shop and online right here on her website.

I have taken her teacher training class and used all of those patterns in setting up teaching materials - they are really easy to make and all of the instructions are wonderfully written out and lots of pictures so you can see how she does it. There are so many variations just by the different fabrics you choose -

Good luck and keep quilting!
Jana

kho

Post by kho » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Hello and welcome,
Did you look at El's theater and video on her site? You can find the patterns here online too..and more of them --just go to the top of the page and click on the shoponline thingy and you should be able to find what you are looking for and a lot more..I think there is a sale going on now for a lot of her products...Happy sewing and sew glad to meet you!!

Suzquilts

Post by Suzquilts » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:03 pm

I highly recommend the Tossed Nine Patch. Very easy but looks complicated when it's done.

Enjoy!
Susan

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:03 am

Fat quarter shop has plenty easy patterns. Then anything with squares and rectangles were my 1st attempts.. Nine patch alone can be made different ways. Saw on a you tube, layer cake cut anywhere and rejoined tog. with a 1 inch strip making another interesting block.

Indian hatchet, large tumbler, and apple core all easy.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:43 am

Mrsg730 see you have taken to the quilting bug.. So much out there Eleanor has many free patterns and videos to start with.. Are you near a guild you can join, even if it is for the show/tell.. Those are loads of fun..

velvet

Post by velvet » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi, to mrsg720. Hope you are still quilting. It is wonderful and Eleanor is a great teacher.

velvet

Post by velvet » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:27 pm

mrgr730 Have you gotten the quilt bug? Have you been doing any new quilts. With me, I'm addicted to stars and have done many tops for Quilts of Valor. I'm addicted to making tops and chocolate. Any one out there with the same affliction?

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:54 am

Make the 9patch and own a X-block ruler those are tons of fun, easy quilt in day done.. I use that template over/over.

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”