Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Chemo hat for wedding

Discussions about Projects & Donations for special causes.
morgans4

Chemo hat for wedding

Post by morgans4 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:16 pm

My daughter's best friend is getting married in October. Right now, however, she's in the hospital getting chemotherapy. All her hair is gone and I wanted to make her some of those chemo hats to keep her head covered and warm. THEN I thought... how about a wedding hat?
Do you think it's possible to make something out of white satin and/or lace and add those lace wedding decals, pearls, sequins, etc., and maybe even put a piece of velcro on the band to add a removable veil. What do you all think? Would that be even possible or are those hats just stretchy things?
I'm anxious to hear your ideas. Any patterns out there good for those chemo hats?

SewSew

Re: Chemo hat for wedding

Post by SewSew » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:05 am

What a beautiful idea! How would a turban style work or something similar? A beautiful jewel centered fabric flower with a removable veil attached to the back would be lovely. Velcro might be uncomfortable if her hair is gone, but what about a thin elastic band covered in lace that could be wrapped around the hat with the veil attached and then removed after the ceremony?

TessieQ

Post by TessieQ » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Brilliant and thoughtful idea!

Perhaps make it out of some white, stretchy jersey fabric so it would fit snugly and comfortably on her head and then decorate it with lace, sequins, etc...to match her dress? Later she could wear it out on the town (sans veil, of course) or even around the house just to feel pretty.

I hope you post a picture of it...of HER wearing it!

homegirl

Post by homegirl » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:37 am

What a perfectly beautiful idea. I love it

SusieQ51

Post by SusieQ51 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:36 pm

I found a great hat for sewing on Nancy Notions website.
I will try to put the website with the directions on here. My sister has under gone chemo losing her hair. She recently had to have a shunt placed in her brain so now her head is shaved. The hats keep her head very warm.

www.nancynotions.com

Click at the bottom of the page where it shows Creative Kindness. When that page opens, you will see some free patterns for chemo turbans.

I hope that helps.

I just noticed that the wedding was in October. Sorry - I don't get to be on the computer as often as I used to be. Sorry about being late.

gmaann

Post by gmaann » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:57 am

Wondering if we could have an update on this? I was out of town when it first got posted, but it is such a lovely idea and I would love to know how it turned out!

Return to “Projects from the Heart”