Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Grace frame

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
piecemaker1

Grace frame

Post by piecemaker1 » Tue May 24, 2011 4:56 am

When I was in Paducah last month, I visited a booth that had a metal Grace Frame. I believe they were a Janome dealer, and had one of their machines mounted on the frame. But the lady said any machine could be used. Does anyone have this frame? How do you like it. It was limited in size of opening because of the machine, but are there other machines that would work better? I am really interested in this frame because it does not take up so much room.

auntjana

Re: Grace frame

Post by auntjana » Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm

I don't know if the Grace frame I have is the one you were looking at - but I do have a metal Grace frame.

Mine is not limiting the size of the throat of the machine - the end rod holders can be moved - tipped back or forward - that would make room for take up rod for the quilt.

Mine works very well - my only complaint is that the throat in my current machine is not deep enough - thought that it would be - but I did not take into consideration the thickness of the rolled up finished section of the quilt in the throat area too. I am getting a new machine and looking for one that has the deeper throat that I can still fit on this frame.

When I am quilting a twin size or larger - by the time I get to the end of the quilt - I only have 3 or 4 inches of manuevering of the machine.

So be sure to check on any frame and machine you look at - that it will allow you room to work with a almost finished quilt

Good luck
Jana

gershwin64

Post by gershwin64 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:18 am

I have the Grace GMQ Pro frame, 1/2 metal and 1/2 wood and I love it but like Jana said by the time I get to the end of a twin I'm only working with about 3" of the quilt at a time. I hope to get a different machine with a bigger throat (mine has a 9") sometime in the future, I've looked at a Bailey which have 13" and 15" throats and another one I can't think of off hand but it had an 18" throat that will fit my frame and I'm sure there a several others. :o)
Tina

piecemaker1

Post by piecemaker1 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:35 am

Thanks for the input. The Grace frame we looked at was all metal. The reason I was drawn to it, was the price. It was do-able, as even the mid arms are $6000 and up. What kind of machine are you looking at Jana? Your input is good food for thought.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Fri May 27, 2011 10:07 am

I am looking at a machine that will handle a 15 inch block - I usually don't have quilt tops with blocks that are any bigger than that.

There are several brands out there that meet that criteria - a throat of around 19 inches or slightly more. Some of the machines will work on the frame that I have currently - so I have been told -

I also want to have a stitch control regulator - consistently keeps the stitch length the same - no matter how fast or slow you move the machine.

Price too - I would like or should I say my husband would like me to keep the price down - I am thinking less than 10,000 - that is still a lot of money for my hobby. We are retiring and moving to a home with a basement so that I will have room to use all the features of my LA - so the new one is on hold for a few months -

Good Luck
Jana

QuiltManiac2010

Post by QuiltManiac2010 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:29 pm

I have a Grace GMQ Pro frame with a Babylock Crown Jewel longarm on it. I am very happy with the current set up. I don't run out of room as my Crown Jewel has an 18 inch throat. I did have my new Janome Horizon on it for a while (which has an 11 inch throat) It was OK, but I am much happier with the longarm. I know it is much more expensive, but it depends on what you want to do. Grace frames are wonderful and the Grace Company is extremely helpful if you have any problems/questions. Good luck and keep us posted!
ps don't forget if you are buying a longarm - consider the reach of your arms - a 23" throat is great, but if you can't reach that far, it is a waste of money. Try to test-drive one before you purchase.
Linda

1nanaclaus

Post by 1nanaclaus » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:39 am

I have a gracy fram for sale. you can go from baby to king size if still interested. Just e-mail me at 1nanaclaus@comcast.net.

armymomscorpion

Post by armymomscorpion » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:00 am

I have the Grace King. Goes from baby to King. LOVE IT. I have a Juki on mine. only a 9 inch throat but looking at purchasing a deeper one in the future so that I can do larger patterns/pantographs. I also have the stitch regulator and would be lost without it. I purchased the frame and the machine for less than 2k brand new as a bundle, online, from a dealer in So. California.

I have been to Paducah as well! I went to Tennessee to help with the birth of my granddaughter and the day after she and her mother got home from the hospital, my son-in-law packed us in the car and took us there! It was breathtaking!

VikingLady

Post by VikingLady » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:28 am

I have a Grace frame that I would like to sell. The frame is great, don't get me wrong. I have ordered a Statler quilting machine and can't use this frame. It is new in the box, never been opened. I used one like this at my local store. The Husqvarna Viking 18 x 8 works on it wonderfully and other quilting machines will work also. I am asking 1K for it. Email me at: dbcorunna@aol.com

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”