Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

New to long arm quilting

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
classathome

New to long arm quilting

Post by classathome » Mon May 02, 2011 8:06 pm

I purchased my machine in Feb. and I realize it's going to take patience and lots of practice but I'd like to know what my expectations should be. I've put a few "sacrificial" quilts on the frame and am keeping a mental journal of what not to do. For those of you that have been doing this for awhile how long do you think it took before you felt confident enough to take on a quilt, say, for a possible customer.

purrfect-lady

Re: New to long arm quilting

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue May 03, 2011 3:08 am

Oh my! That's a very individualized question! I doubt I'll ever feel confident enough to quilt for others (though I've done one and she seemed happy with it. A simple meander was all I did - at her request.) But the folks at Nolting gave me this advice. Practice every day at least an hour. You will definitely see improvement. Also, practice with paper and pencil. It really does help. Experiement. don't be afraid to free-hand. It feels clumsy at first, but eventually, you may find you prefer that to following patterns. Remember to stay relaxed, and when I do use a pattern with my laser, I keep my eyes just ahead of the laser rather than the exact spot it's pointing. I know this isn't really the cut and dried answer you were looking for, but everyone progresses differently. Happy quilting!

norwich

Post by norwich » Tue May 03, 2011 8:17 pm

When I purchased my Gammill seven years ago, I was told to hold off on taking customer quilts for two months, and I'm glad I did. When you practice, use a different color thread so you can see your progress. Just quilt right over the previous color(s). If you're going to get a wholesale license, check out places online like Marshall Dry Goods and Checker Distributors. You'll save tons of money this way. When starting a longarm business, lots of us spent a fortune on gadgets that we never used. The best thing you can do is practice and relax while you do. This is supposed to be fun! Nancy

1quiltinnana

Post by 1quiltinnana » Wed May 04, 2011 8:24 am

I admire Long Arm quilters.

classathome

Post by classathome » Fri May 06, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks for your comments ladies. I'm going to try to relax a bit more and dial the speed down a notch - I just figured out how to do that. Plus I've been watching some educational videos on the subject - it's all very interesting. Lots to learn - I'm going to put some plain fabric on the frame next and use a different colored thread so I can get to practicing.

sewjunky

Post by sewjunky » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:11 am

Does anyone have a BabyLock Tiara II? I just bought one and was wondering in anyone had any "Pearls of Wisdom" regarding this machine. Such as is it real difficult to do a large quilt (king size)? What would be the best way to quilt a large quilt? I have read about rolling and not rolling. Any information would be useful.

Thank you so much.

GailT

Post by GailT » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:32 pm

I have a short arm that has had very little use, I hate it.
I got an Innova 26" longarm in Nov. This one I love and right off the bat I had 'customers'. I had to learn in a hurry and have done well with it. I don't have robotics and really don't want them. I've had to learn to quilt in a hurry and love it. I have to admit that I was really afraid to quilt for others in the beginning but It's worked out well. Don't hesitate to show others what you've done. :)

somari

Post by somari » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:48 am

Some problems are not yours! Sometimes the machine needs a tune up by a pro!

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”