Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Sewing Machines a good one?

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
grandmaof12

Sewing Machines a good one?

Post by grandmaof12 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:08 am

Hello, I am also looking for a new machine and I am thinking about the Husqvara not sure of spelling anyway its a emeral. Anybody heard anything about it? I don't have alot of money but want a good one to sew on. It has a drop in bobbin it doesn't need oiling and sews thru 6 layers of denim. Is it really what u want and can afford? I know Walmart isn't good or some people says so....Just thought somebody might have some opions... Thank u !!!

mic-pa

Re: Sewing Machines a good one?

Post by mic-pa » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:20 am

Go to your locak dealer, have an idea what you want in a sewing machine and what you are willing to pay and try seveeral out. Sometimes you can get a good machine that may have been traded in by someone who upgraded. your dealer can be your best friend when it comes to machines. I myself had very good luck with Janomes (I have three) But you will get as many opinions as there are machines. So see what works best for you. Good Luck

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:08 am

Yes - I would go to the dealer and sew on several different machines and see what suits you best.

Stay away from the Singers and such that Walmart and KMart stores sell - they will give you trouble - a lot of the time - at least.

My daughter had a Viking/Huskvarna - and had problems getting feet and accessories for it - it finally wore out and we got her a Pfaff -those are my choice - I have had 2 of my own over the last 30 years - one lasted about 25 years and I am still sewing on the new one - love them to death!

Even with the no-oil machines - they still do require a drop of oil in the bobbin race area -

So go and test drive a few -and have fun!
Jana

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:09 pm

I have a singer that I got from a dealer.... I really like it... when I bought it the new models had come out and it was on sale because it was from the previous year.... they also threw in lots of extras....including classes

I think it's a good idea to let a few dealers near you know what you are looking for..people trade in machines all the time...
Psalm 91

grandmaof12

Post by grandmaof12 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:21 pm

ty u for giving me some ideas as to what to do. Basially it gets down to what u like and can afford correct? Again ty u all for helping me!!!

kho

Post by kho » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Make a list of what you want the machine to do. I like the pivot with the needle down, and the needle down position-a top loading bobbin- automatic needle threader-things like that.
Then look at several machines. Ask questions-and you are right to stay away from the chain store.
You will be living with your machine for a long time-make sure it is what you want. Have fun shopping-it's always great to look at a new baby.

Suzquilts

Post by Suzquilts » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:27 am

I bought a refurbished Scandinavian 300 about 4 years ago adn love it. It's the embroidery model. I've used it to piece, quilt, embroider, sew quite a bit and only had to get it cleaned every couple of years. As to getting the feet for it, I never had trouble finding them on line if not available locally.

I do agree that you should go to a dealer so you can play and compare which is what I did before I bought this one. In the meantime, wanted a second simple machine to use with my short arm and got a Janome Magnolia which was perfect for that. But I played with all the others first, asked all the questions and then decided based on what I wanted, not what they tried to sell me.

Enjoy the hunt!
Susan

Beckie2011

Post by Beckie2011 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:36 am

I have had Janome, Pfaff and Viking/Huskvarna. They all have their good points. The Pfaff has an even feel aka. built in walking foot. It is awesome for piecing and quilting. The huskvarna is my favorite, it "drives like a cadillac". Wonderful for machine embroidery. I have a little Janome Platinum. It sews great, it's lightweight which is great if you plan on taking classes.

Buying a machine is like buying a car. You need to test drive it and make sure you are comfortable with the dealer. Make sure you are offered user classes.

Good luck

grandmaof12

Post by grandmaof12 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:42 am

Thank u again girls for your advice on machines. I ended up getting the emerald and I really like it very much. I guess it is to each his own. I do not agree with what the one lady said that if u spend 200 or 300 dollars u don't get a good machine. Some of us don't have alot of money like the 8 or 900.00. I think it is great if u do but I think u can get a good machine for what u can afford and will still take care of your needs and b reliable. Thank u again girl I appreciate your thoughts. Jan

grammiequilts

Post by grammiequilts » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:48 am

I have a hsqvarna Viking for many years they have a strong motor and can sew through anything, It is my go to machine, I also have a Babylock althought is isn'y as strong I have it set up for embroidery and it is a sweetie, love it. When my HV has to go to the shop I use the BL love them both

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”