Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

HELP with new machine

Tips, Suggestions, and General Discussions about quilting by machine.
SewSoSweet2

HELP with new machine

Post by SewSoSweet2 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:14 am

HELP, I just bought out a lady's sewing room and there is a HQ Sixteen quilting machine. I have no idea where to even start. I have made quilt tops for a long time but always paid for someone else to quilt them. Any suggestions?

purrfect-lady

Re: HELP with new machine

Post by purrfect-lady » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Does it have a manual? (If not, you can probably download one from the internet) Do you have a quilting frame? If so, how long is it and do you have room for it? our quilt shop has an HQ16 and they give lessons on how to operate it (so you can rent their machine) but perhaps you could start with a quilt shop. Or go to a dealer that sells them and ask them to give you a lesson.

cindyg

Post by cindyg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:23 am

I have an HQ16 and the studio (heavy duty) frame. I don't know how much help I will be but I'll try. Did you get a frame? If you can't download instructions off the internet call HandiQuilter and talk to them. They will send you one and help you with your questions. Feel free to PM me.

auntjana

Post by auntjana » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:06 pm

Once you learn how to load it and thread it - my advice is get some plain fabric and then just - PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!! You will get the hang of it- so go and get started - you will love it!

gramajojo

Post by gramajojo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:56 am

Here's what I did when I got my handi-quilter. I made quilt tops for project linus and another one in Indiana but can't think of the name right now. Anyway, I practiced quilting on those. I figured, what little boy or girl is going to look at the quilt and say "boy this lady sure didn't know how to quilt a quilt" They are going to look at it and hug it and squeeze it and love it. So, this is a way to use up your scraps, practice your quilting and do a community service project to make a child happy all at once!

Jo

Abbigail

Post by Abbigail » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:45 pm

I bought my handiquilter new 2 years ago and it didn't have a manual. I emailed the company and they said they don't make them. "it's all on the internet" well, I still haven't used my machine because I'm a "look at the book" type person and like to have it printed and in front of me. You would think for what I paid for this system that they could offer something better than that! The people I bought it from are more than willing to help me with it but they live over 2 hours drive away from me.It just makes me sick to even go into my sewing room with the quilter just setting there.

somari

Post by somari » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:01 pm

my manual was not really useful but the tutrials online really were a help. Only thingin the manuel is how to restart mid-pattern when the bobbin runs out or the upper thread breaks. Do look online.

somari

Post by somari » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:03 pm

Abigail CALL CANDY EAMES Customer Service in HQ head office Salt Lake. She'll put you onto the right educational people and stuff.

somari

Post by somari » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:06 pm

my manual was not really useful but the tutorials online really were a help. Only thing in the manuel is how to restart mid-pattern when the bobbin runs out or the upper thread breaks. Do look online.

Return to “Machine & Longarm Quilting”