Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

mats are there any difference in them

Having the right tool for the job is always important. Look in here for information about quilting notions that really help finish those projects.
ollie1shoe

mats are there any difference in them

Post by ollie1shoe » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:38 pm

i had looked at some rotary cutting matts the other day that were in the crafts dept. instead of in the quiling dept. is there any difference as long as they are the self healing mats my others are green and this one was hot pink?

TooMuchFabric

Re: mats are there any difference in them

Post by TooMuchFabric » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:38 pm

I purchased one to carry with me and it is not so good. It is much harder and doesn't do the self-mend thing very well. I really like the green ones the very best but they are pricey!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:44 am

I bought a Dritz blue one and it's not the quality that the green ones are. But I have a personal beef with Olfa: They have their name, bar code, instructions (in FOUR languages!) and some other stuff printed in a 4x6 area right in the spot I need most for measuring and lining up my rulers. That is always in my way and irks the heck out of me! Otherwise, it's been a good mat for a long time. And what a good question!

Marilynsgrammy

Post by Marilynsgrammy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:54 pm

I used to have a grey one from Fiskars... it wasn't self healing but hey, it was my first ever mat and it came as a set with a ruler and cutter... I used it for classes

Now I have the green one Mary has a beef with... I do love my green mat but have noticed that it isn't as self healing as it used to be.... I think that no matter what you get you need to replace it after some use just to have a smooth work surface.

I think that when I do get my next mat it will also be the green one and I will never use it to cut anything but cotton... I will pull out the old mat to cut batting, fleece, and whatever else I use.

let us know what you end up with Glenda.

Exodus 33:14

kenderosa

Post by kenderosa » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:37 pm

I love my "green" mat!!! I have had it for 15 years and use it all the time. I also have both of the "green" turning mats and use those often as well. I was told several years back by someone in a LQS to be careful on choices of mats as some are VERY hard on the blades of the rotary cutters. I have found this to be true. My "green" mats are easy on my blades.

Chriss- I like your idea of using a separate mat for things other than quilting cotton. Like iron on fusible and such.

Sue

Joannequilts

Post by Joannequilts » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:40 am

I, too, love the "green" mats...and, like Chriss, I save all my old mats for cutting batting, etc. I have a big table in the basement where I do all my sandwiching of quilts and cutting the excess off before binding..I keep my old large mat down there for that use.

They really need to be replaced after awhile..I tend to cut in the same areas alot.

Joanne

girl

Post by girl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:29 am

I bought a green one for my first mat and I love it. I can use both sides, lets say it tells you to flip it from time to time and use the other side if you want to and I bought a small one just to have to shape up smaller blocks if needed. Worth its money to invest into a good mat. Please let us know what you do.

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:57 am

You get what you pay for..I bought some dirt cheap had short life, purchased from quilt shop at higher price and resisted through time.

They high quality endured high humidity level in my home without warping..

Our quilt quild has library committee, that allows us to borrow quilt tools, for 2mths included in our $30.00 membership, then if we decide to purchase now how to work them..A good system.

astitchintime

Post by astitchintime » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:50 pm

The quilt guild library is a great idea!! I would have loved the opportunity to use some of the quilting tools for even a weekend before having to buy them... I would have thought twice about a few I have. Thanks for sharing. Happy Stitching! Debi

SewGlad

Post by SewGlad » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:28 am

I bought a large,thick, white one at JoAnns that shappens the roller blade as you cut. I have only had it a few months, but I love it. I did notice that my roller blades are really lasting.

Ruthie

Return to “Quilting Notions Discussions”