Welcome to the new Quilt in a Day community pages. Please use your old username and password to log in. If you forgot your password, you can reset it from the log in page. If you have questions about how the new board works, try the FAQ link above.

Flannel Backing

Patterns, Fabric, Suggestions, and more. What to do with everything you've got. Everything's Quilting and Fabric related!
Joannequilts

Re: Flannel Backing

Post by Joannequilts » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:38 am

Northbound, I misspoke in my previous post...when I do rag quilts, I use a 1/2 inch seam..not 5/8 in. That's what I've heard recommended..which is probably what you are thinking of. With rag quilts, you need the extra seam width so you can clip them so that they get fuzzy. Otherwise, I use 1/4 inch seams.

Oasis/Linda, do you use 1/4" seams? Since you do alot of flannel backing?

northbound

Post by northbound » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:16 am

Thanks Joanne, that must be what I was thinking of. I have a baby quilt to make soon that will have a flannel back and sashing on the front so I'm glad to get that seam allowance right.

Chriss, gorgeous quilt!

Flystitch

Post by Flystitch » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:04 am

Marylinsgrammy - Love your quilt. I have made several flannel quilts and they have been most successful. I just donated one of my husband's (he died just recently)flannel quilts to a neighbour who has the onset of Parkinson's. He just loves it and has has great use out of it this last month as we have had a lot of cold weather here in West London.
Flannel not easily available in the UK unfortunately so I have to buy on the internet from the US.
I always back childrens quilts with flannel - so cosy.

zfatcat

Post by zfatcat » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:45 pm

Carol, I do most of the BC quilts with flannel back. It's not that different. Just a little thicker. I do used a zigzag locking stitch on the binding to keep it from fraying. Lori
Lori 8-)

TheKid

Post by TheKid » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:09 am

The one thing I do when I use flannel is wash that material several times, so the shrinking is finished. Otherwise, when it is washed the first time, the blanket will shrink and not always look the best.
They are soft and warm, but the fraying and shrinking is not what I want after I sew it. So, that is one material I wash before sewing.
It always shinks. Hope that helps.

jackiesinak

Post by jackiesinak » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:44 am

I'm making my second quilt and would like to back it with flannel. How can I guestimate the thread count on the flannel I'm buying? I see I should wash it first, any tips for piecing it? My quilt is queen-sized. Thanks!

purrfect-lady

Post by purrfect-lady » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:37 am

I almost always back my quilts with flannel. thread count has never occured to me. I can tell if it's good quality or not just by fingering the fabric. I buy extra because it shrinks a little, and like all fabric, goes wonky when prewashed. And you do need to prewash it. I use 1/2" or 5/8" seams and press them open. If it's going to be quilted by machine, it will be rolled onto a bar during the quilting process, so make your seams horizontal if possible. If they are vertical, the seam allowance will bulk up as it rolls and can distort your quilting pattern and make quilting difficult. But that's the same with any fabric, not just flannel.

Other than that, there's no difference in flannel than regular cotton. Except it does fuzz the machine up and you need to stop and clean more often.

quiltingangel

Post by quiltingangel » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:37 am

I always use flannel backing on my lap quilts. I made my daughter a queen size quilt and she requested flannel for the backing and loves it. I do make sure it is a good quality flannel.

GriffyH

Post by GriffyH » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm

I am new to this forum, and new to quilting. I loved reading this thread on using flannel. So far I've only made two quilts, and both were tied. I'm looking forward to learning more, and will certainly be looking at flannel! Thanks again!

scrapquilter48

Post by scrapquilter48 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:57 am

Many of our MPQ quild members use flannel instead of batting, and flannel for backing for baby donation quilts. The polyester batting health studies say is dangerous for babies breathing factor. I don't know! Flannel handles well! Only thing, it may wear out faster than real batting.. My personal experience with the Q-Snap table quilt frame it's harder to snap it in place needs more strength with your hands.

Also, used polar fleece prints to replace batting/backing. For myself polar fleece has too much static in our homes in winter. Yet, creates warm and softness.

I am getting out of using polyester replacing it with cotton batting since graduating to darning foot training, trying to keep up with the pros...

Return to “Quilting & Fabric Discussions”